Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Nudibranch ID from Indonesia

Started by wetpixel ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Nudibranch ID from Indonesia

9 posts
  1. Couldn't find this in any of the nudi books I checked, and Lorenz and the dive guides had never seen it, either. Any ideas? :P

  2. I'm pretty sure, it is a chromodoris, but I don't know which one.

     

     

    Simon

  3. Looks to me like a purple-spotted Hypselodoris (Hypselodoris purpureomasculosa) as shown in the "Revised Standard" Indo-Pacific nudi reference (ie Neville Coleman's "1001 Nudibranchs") p81, bottom row.

     

    I could be wrong of course.

     

    -David

  4. Nice shot by the way.

  5. I meant to say that too - better than the one in the book, too!

     

    -David

  6. I looked up the Debelius Snail book, and I don't think it is a Hypselodoris.

     

    I think it is a Chromodoris Sp. The Debelius states that there are a lot of different kinds of Chromodoris Sp. in South-East-Asia, a lot of them undescribed.

     

    Maybe we should call it "Chromodoris Chengi"

     

    Simon

  7. Hi folks !

     

    I think David's right, I checked both Coleman and Debelius, and also two Japanese nudie guides, it matches best HYPSELODORIS PURPUREOMACULOSA, it has the same patched pattern on the back, the orange fringe, and the orange-coloured gill, none of the Chromodoris species comes close to this pattern

     

    ciao

    Art

     

     

     

    :P

  8. The Sea Slug Forum is an excellent source of information regarding nudibranchs, especially when you think you have an ID. You can search on that name and see various color forms and sometimes juveniles. The link for this particular one is

    http://www.seaslugforum.net/hypspurp.htm

     

    It is a little harder when you have no clue to the ID, as the search engine isn't good for descriptions. But I generally use the books to get a potential ID, then go to the forum for a lot more details.

     

    Hope this helps people who are interested in sea slugs (nudibranchs).

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.