Hi,
Anybody out there who use memory cards with built-in Wi-Fi?
The idea was to keep the camera in the UW-housing for more dives without having to open the UW-housing and still being able to upload / see the pictures on the computer.
Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic
Started by Lars_N ·
Read-only discussion
Hi,
Anybody out there who use memory cards with built-in Wi-Fi?
The idea was to keep the camera in the UW-housing for more dives without having to open the UW-housing and still being able to upload / see the pictures on the computer.
Eye-Fi cards transmit through every housing I've tested, but not particularly quickly with raw images, so battery life is a concern of mine...
Had a long chat with another diver ( was it you Stew ? )on a trip recently and the conclusion was that it was both very slow and a big pain in the rear.
The version that the other guy had logged on to any wifi it could grab at most any time and started to upload to a web based repository. Reportedly it was very slow and given the file sizes of modern cameras I think that a big card is maybe the way to go - I got a 32GB card for < 50Euro recently.
Try before you buy if you can - the conversation I had put me off this route.
Paul C
I did some testing, and I found transferring RAW files is impossible. LOW RES jpg file transmit quickly, as long as you are on a fast network, and you are within 10 ft of the base you are transmitting to.
Hi,
I am using the Eye-Fi SD card with my D300s in a Nexus housing , i must say that it is not slow . It is perfect when you come back from a dive and want to see you results before the next dive without opening the housing . Or you just leave it next to your computer and it will auto transfer while you are having lunch . Doesn't need any wireless network at all , has direct mode to connect directly to the Laptop ![]()
Tunc
Oh memory card with built in WiFi i have never seen this kind of memory card, any one can tell me how it works...
This seems pretty wicked. I would definitely get this when it comes in a larger size. I went diving Saturday, only took 50 pics (55F, low vis, so not a ton of pics to take) and that was 1 GB of space. I've done 400-500 pics on a single dive before and I need a larger sized card. I could do 16gb without a problem, but I want a fast storage card (diving with sea lions I used continuous mode to take rapid shots).
So once this tech improves a bit more I am in. As far as speed....I read on one review that a 5.1 megapixel photo takes about 5 seconds...so 18 megapixel should take about 15-20 seconds? As long as I can upload all my pics within 1 to 1.5 hours (interval time) I am ok with the speed. Even then, it's better then nothing. Presently I copy my photos over when I get back to shore - but a camera may flood from dive 1 to dive 3
i think it useful but only for review your day shoot photo... not to transfer all your photo (+raw) to your computer....
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.