Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Unknown Shrimp?

Started by scubadiverjackcook ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Unknown Shrimp?

3 posts
  1. At Eagle Reefs, off Santa Catalina Island, on May 4th, 2011, at about 30 FSW, Water Temp 62 degrees F, perched on a Southern Sea Palm, this is either one of the trickiest pieces of debris I have ever seen, or some kind of tiny shrimp. It was 5 centimeters or less long. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Rick Murchison suggested it might be a decorator crab, but it seems to me that the shape is too elongated for that. I checked all of the decorator crabs in my reference books and didn't see anything like it.

    post-30525-1304697955.jpg

  2. Hi Jack - 5 centimeters? or 5 millimeters? If the latter then it's probably an abandoned silt/detritus tube.

  3. Hi Jack - 5 centimeters? or 5 millimeters? If the latter then it's probably an abandoned silt/detritus tube.

     

    Whoops! 5 millimeters is the correct length. Thanks, Leslie. I guess it is one of the trickiest piece of debris I've ever seen.

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.