Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Focus light for 100mm macro

Started by frisco ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Focus light for 100mm macro

10 posts
  1. Hi All !!!

     

    I have just added to my kit a Canon EF 100mm F2.8 USM macro lens and I wonder if my cheap Fantasea nano mini focus light (which is more than enough for the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM lens) will be enough or I would be better off with brighter focus light such as the Sola 500 or the FIX LED 500DX.

     

    Thank you very much in advance for your help and tips !!!

     

    All the Best ..... Francesco

  2. I have FIX LED 1000DX, technically a good light. However, mine flood after less than 20 dives, $100 to send to Japan to repair. That flooded after less than 10 dives, and needs replacement. I can hardly recommend. On the other hand, the Intova Supernova seems bulletproof, and have at least 100 dives on it. Paired with my 105 mm, good beam for macro.

     

    Sola 500 series seems quite good, from reading literature, but I have never used.

     

    Have used nano mini, but far too weak for me.

  3. I use a Mini Q40 LED and it is good for my 100mm and 50mm....but then I dive mostly in Scotland where ambient is low. The light is soft with a good spread and there is never a hot spot. In blue water with lots of sun, it is no good unless working very close or on an evening/night dive or under an overhang. I have never been tempted to get something more powerful as I do not want to scare off my subject and plenty of them seem to be light averse.

  4. Another option in the middle price range is the Big Blue series. I have the 1x5 and have used it for about 30 dives and it worked quite well with an old Nikon 105 micro. It turns off for 1-2 sec when the strobes go off. Those on the night dives said I was easy to find. I had the brightest beam on the boat, by far. Big Blue has some brighter lights as well for more money and more battery weight. They are not as small or light as the Sola but my 1x5 was under $150. You might investigate the Big Blue lights online and see if that fits your needs.

     

    I had the Nano but it flooded after a few dives. The problem with rotating the head for turning on/off, if you turn too far it floods.

  5. I use a Sola 600, which I am very happy with. I have used it on about 150 dives with no problems. Easy to charge, with a wide beam. I occassionaly use the red light on it, and it is powerful enough that AF-lock is more or less instantaneous (7D with EF 100/2,8 L).

     

    Bent C

  6. I agree with Bent Francesco. The Sola 600 works very well with my 100mm. So much lighter and easier to use than my old FIX light.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  7. I've used several of the less expensive focus lights, and the Sola light made a big difference with my 105mm lens. The sola 500 is a great value compared to the Sola 600 if you are on a budget and feel like you are ok without the red light.

     

    Scott

  8. I have a Big Blue 1x5W that I find a little weak for use with the 105 mm macro lens. I am planning to upgrade to the Sola 600 sometime soon.

  9. I am currently using the Inon S550 focus light with my EF-100mm Macro lens, lightweight, inexpensive, needs 3 AA batteries for a sufficient autonomy -something over 90min- so it can also work as a nightlight.

    It doesn't have the AFO feature, but I don't think it's very helpful when you're shooting macro at f/22 ISO100,

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.