Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

What ever happened to...

Started by kcf955 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

What ever happened to...

8 posts
  1. What is the current best UW magazine for showcasing the underwater environment? And does anyone know what happened to Ocean Realm magazine? That was an excellent mag showcasing some of the top UW photographers work.

     

    Keith

  2. Judging by the lack of responses, I guess there are none at this time...On another note, I just received my first issue of "Digital PhotoPro" magazine and have to say it is refreshing to see a magazine that is not completely devoted to advertising and useless product listings disguised as reviews or "buyers guide".

     

    Keith

  3. Sorry Keith, that I didn't respond before. Not sure what I'd consider the best current magazine for underwater photography. Asian Diver may be the closest thing any more to what I like to see. Ocean Realm went out of business over a year ago. They were having trouble paying contributors for some time before that.

     

    Oh, and to answer another question of yours from another thread, Chris Newbert shoots a Subeye these days (also what I shoot for film). Incredible camera. Ocean Realm's last issue had one of his shots on the cover.

  4. Thanks Linda for the insight. I will check out Asian Diver.

     

    Keith

  5. Just to add a bit more. The end of Ocean Realm was very bitter for a lot of people. The two ladies that owned the magazine were apparently always a bit difficult to work with. They they ran into some financial trouble, but kept taking contributions and subscriptions for some time, though they never planned to print another magazine. Many photographers lost work and many of us lost renewal fees because they tried to suck in as much revenue as possible despite the fact that they had already decided to cease publication. The UW-Photo list had some "lively" discussions about this. For a brief period, there was a British publication called Oceans Illustrated that was quite nice as well but they decided they couldn't generate enough subscriptions to keep it viable. To their credit, they did refund unused subsciption fees unlike Ocean Realm. Currently, I think the closest you'll get to the same content and quality is Fathoms, though Ocean Realm still wins IMHO for some of their more beautiful content . . .

     

    Mike

     

    EDIT: Interestingly, if you type oceanrealm.com into your browser, you get Jim Watt's site . . .

  6. Thanks Mike, I am sorry to hear how Ocean Realm went down. I checked out the Fathoms website and will consider a 1 year subscription.

     

    Keith

  7. My opinion is that the best UW magazine for UW photography is the Underwater Photography Magazine.

    It's a web magazine in PDF format, I usually print a hard copy of it also.

     

    Arnon

  8. Yes, underwater photography magazine is nice (and free and I like it a lot); however, if you like the feel of nice images on nice glossy paper, it falls a bit short.

     

    Thanks Mike, I am sorry to hear how Ocean Realm went down. I checked out the Fathoms website and will consider a 1 year subscription.

     

    You local dive shop may have copies there -- might be a good idea to wander over there and take a look . . .

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.