Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Moving up to 7D from G10

Started by Steve Williams ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Moving up to 7D from G10

6 posts
  1. Our new member Jay asked this question in a different thread yesterday. Can we help him out?

     

     

    Hi all. Stepping up from a G10 with Ikelite housing!

    Just bought a Canon 7D. I'm very close to buying the Nauticam housing. Does anyone have any thoughts about this housing? Good/Bad? Should I consider Subal or Sea&Sea?

    Also... am thinking of getting the Canon 60mm macro lens and a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. Should this have me covered? Also looking at the Sigma 10-20mm b/c it's easier to find here in Australia.

    Finally, I currently have a DS-51 Ikelite strobe. I'm going to use that for a few months. But will probably upgrade to a 2nd flash in a few months. Thinking having the Ikelite paired with an Inon. Is this a good/bad idea?

    Thanks for your feedback!

    Jay

    Edited by Steve Williams — Moved to correct forum
  2. Can we help him out?
    I already have, he sent me a PM today and I directed him to my 7D Nauticam/Aquatica review I did last year:

     

    7D Nauticam/Aquatica Comparison

     

    I also pointed out that since writing that comparison I've had the opportunity to play with (but not dive with) the Subal, Hugyfot and Ikelite 7D housings and that after using the Nauticam 7D housing for over year now it was still the best housing I've used.

  3. Gudge has a lot more experience than me but I also really like the Nauticam housing FWIW.

     

    For underwater, the Tokina is popular for very good reason, that and a 60mm cover an awful lot. Plenty of Tokina's still on Ebay, Id only get the 10-20mm if I intended to do a lot of abovewater wideangle as well, or really wanted the lens to be rectilinear underwater, eg shooting pylons or wrecks.

     

    An Ikelite and an Inon strobe combo can be annoying in that one uses a cable/hotshoe connection and the other can be optically fired, so you'd need to trigger the Inon from the Ikelite or have two single electrical cables and bulkheads, which adds to your costs. You'd also need different cables if you wanted to use the Inon by itself than with the Ikelite, so its probably a false economy in my view.

     

    You'd also only have manual flash when using both I think, unless someone has a cheap ingenious workaround.

     

    Otara

  4. Just bought the Nauticam housing with ports for the Tokina 10-17mm and the Canon 60mm!

    Gonna use the Ikelite DS-51 for my trip to Fiji in a few weeks. Then probably upgrade to an Inon strobe after that. Will see how things go!

    Thanks for the advice!

    Jay

  5. Congrats Jay!

    Take a little council from hard earned experience and practice in the pool before you go. It will give you a chance to dial in the strobe with your rig. A rubber duck is the unofficial Wetpixel practice target but just about anything will work.

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

  6. I have a Nauticam 7D and also use the 60mm and the tokina 10-17mm. I love the housing and the

    erganomics are great. Both lenses work great with the 7D.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.