Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina actual zoom ring fix?

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina actual zoom ring fix?

7 posts
  1. Hi,

    I use a Tokina 10-17 with a Kenko 1.4TC with Aquatica on a D90, and found that the way the zoom gear goes onto the lens barrel, it has eventually worked off the actual lens zoom ring and underlying cover, I put it back together a few times, but now it seems it falls apart everytime I try to put the zoom gear back on.

    Has anyone else had this problem and know if its easy to fix with a bit of glue?

  2. Have had the same issue. I cut a thin strip of electrical tape and wrap it around and around the "front" of the lens zoom ring to help keep the zoom gear from sliding forward.

     

    Must say I wish Aquatica would go back to set-screws for the zoom gears. In fact have a buddy with a machine shop that says we could put them in and going to take him up on it.

    Edited by NWDiver
  3. Thanks buddy, doesnt the zoom gear push the tape off too?

  4. I have the same problem with mine, using the FIX zoom ring for Nexus D90 housing. Had Tokina repair the lens. One thing that seems to help is to:

    Remove the O-ring inside the zoom gear

    Cut it into three pieces but only using ~1/2 to 2/3 of the O-ring

    Put the thirds back in, evenly spaced, this leaves gaps between the O-ring pieces

    This puts less tension on the lens when sliding the zoom gear into place and therefore less tendency to push the lens apart.

     

    Seems to help mine but have not had the fix in place for long yet.

     

     

    Another thing that helps for mine,

    Put the camera in the housing without the lens.

    put the zoom ring onto the lens from the back but not all the way in place.

    Put the lens onto the camera with the zoom ring on the camera side of its normal position.

    Slowly slide the z-ring forward until its in place.

    This causes you to pull the ring into place, pulling the lens zoom ring tighter rather than pushing it apart.

     

    Does any of that description make sense?

  5. Yes thanks Dave...but...

    on the Aquatica the body always goes in without the lens.

    I tried the gear from the back of the lens to do as you say but the gear is too wide it seems to fit onto the camera

     

    How long did Tokina take to repair the lens and did they charge anything? Where are they based?

  6. I just had a fiddle with this to see how loose it is to try and get a pic, not loose at all but with force I guess, must be some force in those gears! Next time it comes apart, I'll leave it apart, and look closer. Maybe if there was only a limited number of teeth on the gears also, it may have a limited travel and stop any further force once you reach zoom limit?

  7. The repair was $80 and took about 2 weeks. Shipment and repair were in the US.

     

    Another option is to slide the gear on from the back before mounting the lens. Does that fit?

    Its not always easy on my housing but it can be done most of the time. Takes a bit of fiddling.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.