Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Cheap extension tube, how do I get it off my lens?

Started by Scubysnaps ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Cheap extension tube, how do I get it off my lens?

9 posts
  1. Hi,

    I recently bought some cheap pack of 3 extension tubes from eBay, thought for £7 it wouldnt be any harm in experimenting.

    When I looked into them they come in 3 different lengthed halves and one half so you can vary the length of the tube. I screwed 2 pieces together and eventually worked out how to lock it onto my lens and camera body, but I cannot now get the damn thing off my lens. I have unscrewed one half off the other half, but still have a remining half locked onto my lens and no matter what, it will not come off, there is no button to deprerss or anything, I've looked closely at the back of the lens but cannot find anything to release it. I dont want to hacksaw it off!!??

    Can anyone help please?

  2. Hi,

    I recently bought some cheap pack of 3 extension tubes from eBay, thought for £7 it wouldnt be any harm in experimenting.

    When I looked into them they come in 3 different lengthed halves and one half so you can vary the length of the tube. I screwed 2 pieces together and eventually worked out how to lock it onto my lens and camera body, but I cannot now get the damn thing off my lens. I have unscrewed one half off the other half, but still have a remining half locked onto my lens and no matter what, it will not come off, there is no button to deprerss or anything, I've looked closely at the back of the lens but cannot find anything to release it. I dont want to hacksaw it off!!??

    Can anyone help please?

     

    You can try:

    filter wrench

    band wrench

    heavy rubber band, for better grip

    disc of soft rubber larger than tube opening, place over tube & twist

    Boil some water and insert tube to heat it up and expand a bit, use with any of the above

    WD40 on threads

     

    Avoid hammers and acetylene torches

  3. Thanks Ken, but its not because its too tight, its locked on, I can turn it about a mm either way but there is something locking it in place

  4. Try posting a picture, possibly one showing the inside of the tube, whatever you do do not force it

     

    Can you turn the extension a bit or is it frozen in one spot?

     

    One possible explanation is that one screw head sticking out from the extension lens mount is jamming it, a picture would really help here or at least a link to the website so we can get an idea of the overall design.

  5. Try posting a picture, possibly one showing the inside of the tube, whatever you do do not force it

     

    Can you turn the extension a bit or is it frozen in one spot?

     

    One possible explanation is that one screw head sticking out from the extension lens mount is jamming it, a picture would really help here or at least a link to the website so we can get an idea of the overall design.

     

    with 2 halves on

    _DSC3684-1.jpg

    with top half off

    _DSC3683.jpg

    close up

    _DSC3687.jpg

     

    I was thinking of taking it inot London camera exchange in tomorrow see if they can help...hope someone can!

    The ring has a total of about 3mm travel

  6. This is quite funny! :(

     

    I'd guess there is an unlocking mechanism in the hole in the side of it.

     

    If it is still on there next week - bring it to BSoUP I am sure I can get it off!

     

    Alex

  7. I agree with Alex, I tracked down some similar tubes on E-Bay and you clearly see a chrome push button on the side, I have a feeling that due to the high quality of this product, that this little chrome device went south somewhere along it journey to you, try inserting a small screwdriver in the hole and push, maybe that will do it, as Alex said, if you can get it off easy, then leave with for a technician, the hacksaw should not be considered part of any photographer's toolkit :lol:

     

    As my Old Dad always says, I'm too poor to buy cheap :( , I encourage you to do yourself a favor and use the hacksaw after you have removed the tube :(;)

    Edited by Viz'art
  8. it had a chrome little knob high quality version from ebay £699, I turned it and pushed it til I was blue in the face, but did nothing. good call/excuse ALex, if I dont get it off by Wednesday I'll be coming along :( I'll try a pin or maybe a bklow torch now!

  9. Ha ha! I'll do anything to get out of going to BSoUP!! (only joking!) With my new twisty awl/o ring remover multi dive tool from XSscuba.com, I wiggled it around in the hole until it became nice and loose :( and off it came in my hands :lol: All done, thanks for your support gents :)Now onto my Tokina!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.