Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tips and tricks for settings D7000????

Started by Dgsmith ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Tips and tricks for settings D7000????

7 posts
  1. Just got my nauticam housing for D7000. I am going to just shoot macro for now to start.

    Have not decided yet on strobe. What tips do you guys have for using the camera and housing underwater. What focus mode? What shortcuts?? What user defined settings ?? Please shorten my learning curve by learning from your trial and error.

     

     

    Thanks

    Dennis

  2. Buy "The Underwater Photographer" by Martin Edge. It's an absolute mine of information.

  3. Like you new to the D7000 and someone who is not super versed in camera tech. While Mr. Edges book is quite good I think you are looking for specifics for the D7000.

     

    The following are settings I am trying. Would be great if other more experienced users would chime in with their settings.

     

    -3D AFC works well for most situations

    -AF-S for macro or when want to "isolate" focus on something

    -RAW

    -WB - Cloudy

    -Color Space - sRGB

    -a1-AF-C ???

    -a2-AF-S???

    -a3-Focus tracking with lock0on??

    -a7-off

    -a8-AF-S???

    -e1- 1/320

    -e3 ????

    -e4 off

     

    As far as shooting video no clue. Alex Mustards original review of the D7000 covers some of this, just search it here.

  4. I'm blogging about such things. Click on the D7000 blog link in my sig.

     

    But right now I've evolved to:

     

    Manual exposure with Inon Z220 x 2

    Raw (14bit) + fine jpeg. (Only use/keep the Raw files if the images are good or important)

    200iso (or 400 where needed)

    AF-S

    WB 5260K or Pre (Reading from my grey glove palm)

    Colour Space - AdobeRGB

    Release button to use dial (f7) Gives you "sticky" buttons

    Menus and Playback OFF (f6) Allows S and A changes while the review image is still showing

     

    For Video I use AF-S because AF-C doesn't work well enough in live view and is very noisy (audio)

    A priority with -1ev, or Manual exposure (Have to enable manual video settings in the menu)

  5. I second the use of AdobeRGB colour space.

  6. Go to Thom Hogan's website and buy his guide to the D7000.

     

    I am in no way connected with him except as a customer.

  7. Thanks guys the settings are what I am looking for. I have the books but your underwater experience is what I am looking for.

    Andrew I will be checking your blog often so you have to keep it updated with good info.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.