Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Pictures from Olympus E-PL2

Started by Edward Lai ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Pictures from Olympus E-PL2

12 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    Just finished our first production housing for E-PL2 and shot these in Moalboal:

     

    With Panny 45mm Marco

    P5070152-M.jpg

     

    With Panny 45mm Marco

    P5070192-M.jpg

     

    With Oly 14-42mm

    P5080231-M.jpg

     

    With Oly 14-42mm and Inon wet diopter

    P5080265-M.jpg

     

    With Panny 14mm

    P5090448-M.jpg

     

     

    The entire gallery is here:

     

    http://nauticam.smugmug.com/HousingTests/N...17044309_L7SzHc

     

    I hope you enjoy watching them!

     

    Edward

  2. Fantastic! Can you tell us about your setup? What housing & ports did you use? Why did you have the Panasonic 14mm if you already have the 14-42mm lens?

  3. Wow!~ If you didn't look at the full gallery, you should!

     

    I am SO pleased I just bought this camera!

     

    Thing I noticed most was your fantastic exposures and lighting. What strobes did you use? sttl? How did you control the camera (fixed ISO, manual A+S?) Is it RAW?

     

    Just wonderful lighting....THANKS for more info.!

  4. The housing and ports are from Nauticam.

     

    About our port system/choices:

     

    1. We found the Oly 14-42 to be a versatile lens and can focus quite closely, so we designed a flat port with an integral 67mm thread at the front such that the lens can be used from moderate wide angle to marco (sometimes with the help of wet mounted diopter). This port can be used with the Panny 45mm Marco as well.

     

    2. The Panny 14mm Pancake lens is a very sharp lens. We made a dedicated small (about 4" diameter) semi-dome port for this lens so that the full angle of view can be realized. We are very pleased to find the pictures are shape corner to corner.

     

    3. We are also developing ports for the Panny 8mm Fisheye and 7-14mm wide angle zoom. These were both tested during the trip, but we are making the final adjustments for optimal optical performance.

     

    About the exposure:

     

    All pictures were shot with a fixed ISO of 200, Manual exposure mode with 2 Sea&Sea YS-110 alpha strobes set to ds-ttl. A small amount of basic brightness/contrast, and cropping were applied on some of the captured jpg files. Haven't had time to try the Oly raw converter yet.

     

    We are quite amazed with the performance of this small and highly affordable camera. However, due the the smaller sensor there were sometimes a bit of highlight clipping when shooting towards bright light.

     

    Edward

    Edited by Edward Lai
  5. Many thanks for the detailed info. I assume you will also be able to use the 9-18mm Oly lens with the port you are developing for the Panny lens?

     

    Thanks

  6. Another question: Using the EPL2 and YS-110A in DSTTL Mode with fiber optic cables, is a TTL converter needed? Thanks.

  7. Great shots Edward, no, you'd not need a TTL converter if you are triggering with fiber optics.

  8. Great shots, Edward.

     

    I think the small pancake lenses get overlooked by most newer photographers, since it seems like the zoom lenses cover that range. But they are prime lenses, much better glass/optics, very fast with sharp corners. Work quite well in available light, or video as well, and makes the housing small and easy to handle in adverse conditions.

     

    Looking forward to having these in production and on the shelf!

     

    Jack

  9. Hi Alex and Jack,

     

    Thanks for the nice comment....have been out of internet connection for last few days in a remote area in the Philippines. Haven't been back to factory yet but I believe first batch of the housing should be shipping out by now.

     

    Edward

  10. Haven't been back to factory yet but I believe first batch of the housing should be shipping out by now.

     

    Very sorry to have mixed up the models. I meant the GH-2 housing are shipping. The E-PL2 will be mid of June.

     

    Edward

  11. Hi, I have just bought the Sea & Sea YS110a and have the Olympus E-PL2 and the Olympus case which is the PT-EP03.

     

    I can get the flash to work by setting it to Manual 1 (I assume the E-PL2 has pre-flash) but when I switch to TTL and switch strobe on the flash fires but doesnt seem to illuminate the picture, same as with Manual 2 setting.

     

    I am using Sea & Sea fiber optic cable.

     

    Does anyone know how I can get TTL working?

     

    Is it a camera setting?

     

    thanks for any answers.

     

    Matt

  12. Hi, I have just bought the Sea & Sea YS110a and have the Olympus E-PL2 and the Olympus case which is the PT-EP03.

     

    I can get the flash to work by setting it to Manual 1 (I assume the E-PL2 has pre-flash) but when I switch to TTL and switch strobe on the flash fires but doesnt seem to illuminate the picture, same as with Manual 2 setting.

     

    I am using Sea & Sea fiber optic cable.

     

    Does anyone know how I can get TTL working?

     

    Is it a camera setting?

     

    thanks for any answers.

     

    Matt

     

    I think it may be a camera setting. I have the Inon S2000 so I am not all that familiar with the S & S. However, in TTL mode the camera flash setting must be set to "fill". If it is set to a manual power setting like 1/64th there is no pre-flash and while the S & S may fire the timing is incorrect. Additionally, to get TTL you need the camera flash in a TTL mode (preferably "fill") or the S & S will not give the proper exposure. The S & S mimics the timing of the TTL flash on the camera and if you use a manual mode on the camera, then you cannot get TTL from the flash.

     

    If you want to use manual flash, then set a manual mode on the camera (such as 1/64th althought Phil Rudin recommends 1/4). There is no pre-flash in this mode and the S & S should be set to a manual setting that does not use pre-flash.

     

    There is another thread in this forum where someone was having trouble with a S & S flash and it turned out that the one of the settings on the flash was set incorrectly. I believe the title to the thread mentioned either the EPL1 or EPL2 and the S & S flash.

     

    I hope that helps.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.