Lets say a you have a 5D mark 1 and you want to take it out on a collapsed volcano. You lock in a Canon 16-35mm or a Canon 100mm macro. What is the best housing/strobe rig for the mk1?
- 4Posts
- 4Replies
Read-only discussion
5Dm1 Housing
-
-
Need more info. Will it actually be getting wet?
-
Need more info. Will it actually be getting wet?
Yes it will, pardon me for not saying, but the crater reef is between 40 and 100 ft underwater.
I found the rig online, but I think it will be too costly considering the fact that it is discontinued technology and therefore probably not upgradable in the future.
-
You're right it is not current tech but it still works... A better investment might be in newer tech
but only for a while. There's always something newer. Perhaps a system where you can continue to use
the ports (from a system for your 5D1) a couple generations into the future (MKII, MKIII - whatever)
would be a better long term benefit. I've found, though it may not always be so, that you lose money
every time you buy a housing and then upgrade to the newest and latest.
There was a used 5DMK 1 housing that was modified to use with a MKII recently for sale here on WP.
It should be better priced than a specific MKII housing (I didn't pay much attention when I glanced at the
classifieds). The issue is some housing manufacturers upgrade their port systems (Subal type 3 - type 4)
to keep up with the increasing girth of some newer wide zoom lenses which could mean you wouldn't
be able to use them on their newer type 4 mount housings. (sometimes there are adapters)
I think Aquatica has the same size port mounts and their housings are relatively affordable (especially used)
so that might be a more cost effective way to house your MKI. Something to consider.... Good luck.