Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Goby ID?

Started by tonywu ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Goby ID?

3 posts
  1. Are there any goby experts who might know what these gobies are? All the photos are from Kokopo (next to Rabaul) in PNG, between 7 and 10 meters depth, mucky bottom.

     

    I think the first one is a species of Vanderhorstia, but not sure. I have no idea for the other two. They are all shrimp gobies.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Tony

     

    Update: Got an ID of V. ornatissima for the third one. Looks right to me.

    post-3350-1305530586.jpg

    post-3350-1305530601.jpg

    post-3350-1305530610.jpg

    Edited by tonywu
  2. Nice images, I will try to ID when I get to my office, but if I can't, is it ok if I send the images to some specialist colleagues?

     

    Luiz

  3. Hi Luiz,

     

    No problem. Have just been getting help from a guy in Japan who seems to know a lot about gobies.

     

    It's looking like they're all Vanderhorstia species. The first one seems to resemble a goby that's spotted often in Bali, commonly referred to as a "spangled shrimp goby" (photos show up with a google search). The second might be V. lanceolata. Not too sure about that ID though. The third seems to be V. ornatissima.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Tony

    Edited by tonywu
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.