Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Panasonic GF2 vs Olympus E-PL2

Started by linder ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Panasonic GF2 vs Olympus E-PL2

3 posts
  1. Hi!

     

    Close to placing an order for my next set-up (upgrade from powershot g9), but I really can't make up my mind regarding the camera.

     

    I've decided I'm going micro four thirds and a choosing between the Panasonic GF2 and the Oly E-PL2. Playing around with the two cameras in the store I like the Panasonic better, more or less solely for it's fantastic video capabilities.

     

    However, I'm worried that the touch-screen will be a big negative when the camera is housed (I'm looking at the 10Bar housing). Does anyone have any experience with the GF2 and how easy/hard the camera is to operate in an UW housing?

     

    Another question - is the 14mm pancake Panasonic kit lens going to be wide enough, or should I looks at something more towards: http://www.opticaloceansales.com/olympus-m...s/prod_498.html

     

    Cheers,

    M

  2. Most folks find the gf2 much better a photographers tool.

     

    It has a dial on it, to adjust aperture and shutter.

     

    In the epl2, everything is menu, and the only dial is the ring around the menu button. In addition, the menu system gets in the way, more often than not..

     

    For wide angle, the 14 is not really wide enough. Folks are getting good results with the 8 mm pany, and one or more of the zooms.

  3. Most folks find the gf2 much better a photographers tool.

     

    It has a dial on it, to adjust aperture and shutter.

     

    In the epl2, everything is menu, and the only dial is the ring around the menu button. In addition, the menu system gets in the way, more often than not..

     

    For wide angle, the 14 is not really wide enough. Folks are getting good results with the 8 mm pany, and one or more of the zooms.

     

    I have 2 G series cameras and am happy with both for underwater. I'm not sure about the controls on the GF2 though. As long as you can control A and S you should be OK. I don't really mess with much else except flash sinc on occasion.

     

    The 14 is right where they start to call a lens wide but what you really want is supper wide. I use the 7-14 and keep it on 7 most of the time. It's great for helping your strobes reach your subject without scatter or distortion.

     

    20110528-P1030893-2.JPG

    Edited by underexposed
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.