Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Cleaning a Dome Port

Started by Miloe ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Cleaning a Dome Port

6 posts
  1. Hi all

    Any suggestions for cleaning the fingerprints and assorted smudges off of an Aquatica dome port.

    Just trying to make sure I don't use something that'll etch the port.

    Thanks

    Gary

  2. For oily gunk mild soapy water and a VERY soft cloth will do the trick, rinse real well and then blow dry with compressed air if available.

     

    light cleaning can be performed using a standard lens cloth.

     

    Silicon grease tends to be the biggest pain to remove.

     

    For minor scratches on the interior, I use a high quality plastic polishing kit. ( white paste and a special buffing cloth ). this requires a lot of rubbing but it works wonders. I got the stuff here in Japan but it should be easy to find most anywhere. Also works great on CDs :P

     

    Chris

  3. :P Highly recommend using a soft cloth and "Mirror Glaze" # 17!

    It's a clear plastic cleaner that I use on my Aquatica dome.

    Works like like a charm, and removes all minor scratches!

    It is usually sold at airports to clean aircraft's windshields.

    Made by: WWW.meguiars.com

    :P

  4. Craig tells me that you can buy the polishing kit at a Harley Davidson store!!!!

     

    Cheers

    James

  5. Thanks all.

    So far no scratches to take out .

    Just the fingerprints/smudges/lube for traveling and using it.

    I just didn't want to use the wrong stuff and end up clouding the dome.

    L8R

    Gary

  6. Hello Gary,

     

    I use various acrylic polishes on the exterior (depending on the depth of the scratch and/or the type of smudge), then rinse with water, pat with a soft cloth, blow dry and the final step is to polish the dome with Lemon Pledge. The techs at Aquatica use it and the Pledge has been a great, quick polish to carry with me. I often use it in-between dives, after the port has been rinsed and dried.

     

    For more serious polishes, I suggest you try:

     

    http://www.micro-surface.com

     

    Debbie Abrahms is the contact. Tell her I suggested that you give them a try and that you are an underwater photographer. She will send you a sample kit. Between trips, I often take an electric, rotary hand polisher and add some Micro-Glaze. It can work wonders on an "experienced" dome.

     

    Scott Johnson

    SeaScapes Images

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.