Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Halo problem - D7000 in Aquatica housing

Started by brandonmc ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Halo problem - D7000 in Aquatica housing

6 posts
  1. I am using the Tokina 12-24 in the AD7000 housing, with 8" dome and what I thought was the correct extension ring (28.5 mm #18453) and get a halo in my shots when shooting below ~15mm. Checked the camera/lens and definitely only occurs in the housing. Do I need a different extension ring? Am I doing something wrong? Any tips/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

     

    bedford_stolt9.jpg

     

    Just to be clear...

    bedford_halo.jpg

  2. I am using the Tokina 12-24 in the AD7000 housing, with 8" dome and what I thought was the correct extension ring (28.5 mm #18453) and get a halo in my shots when shooting below ~15mm. Checked the camera/lens and definitely only occurs in the housing. Do I need a different extension ring? Am I doing something wrong? Any tips/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

     

    bedford_stolt9.jpg

     

    Just to be clear...

    bedford_halo.jpg

    It looks like the reflection of part of the front of your lens on the inside of the dome port. This is pretty common in wide angle photography when using a dome port. You can try blacking out any reflective parts of the lens with a black marker. It also can be repaired in Photoshop. I have a 10-20 zoom that is nearly impossible to shoot toward the sun due to so many reflections.

  3. I am using the Tokina 12-24 in the AD7000 housing, with 8" dome and what I thought was the correct extension ring (28.5 mm #18453) and get a halo in my shots when shooting below ~15mm. Checked the camera/lens and definitely only occurs in the housing. Do I need a different extension ring? Am I doing something wrong? Any tips/help would be appreciated. Thanks!

     

    bedford_stolt9.jpg

     

    Just to be clear...

    bedford_halo.jpg

    I will add, an extension of the wrong length will give you sharpness and/or vignetting issues. If your images are sharp throughout the frame and with subjects at different distances (very close, very far away), and you do not have black corners (dome shade creeping into the FOV) it is not an extension ring issue.

  4. On that Tokina 12-24, the gold ring around the end of the lens is reflecting into your dome. Cover it with black tape.

  5. Are you using Fiber optic connected strobes? If so you need to keep the light from the internal strobe from getting inside the dome.

  6. On that Tokina 12-24, the gold ring around the end of the lens is reflecting into your dome. Cover it with black tape.

     

    That fixed it! Thank you very much!!

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.