Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

sigma 10 mm F2.8

Started by dodelineur ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

sigma 10 mm F2.8

5 posts
  1. hi all,

     

    I am just back from a ccr trip to Truk lagoon (some pictures asap ), and I realized that I would be happy to find a wide angle lense brighter than my tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5.

    I have seen Sigma make a 10mm F2.8...does anyone already tried it and is it a good alternative? Is it a lot less wide than the Tokina?

     

    Tx for sharing your experience

     

     

    John

  2. hi all,

     

    I am just back from a ccr trip to Truk lagoon (some pictures asap ), and I realized that I would be happy to find a wide angle lense brighter than my tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5.

    I have seen Sigma make a 10mm F2.8...does anyone already tried it and is it a good alternative? Is it a lot less wide than the Tokina?

     

    Tx for sharing your experience

     

     

    John

     

    How often do you actually shoot a W/A or FE lens wide open like that? The whole point is to get the entire scene in focus, so I'm always using F4.5 or smaller. The F2.8 will give you just a little more light than F3.5, usually not enough to make that big a difference. Also, 10mm W/A vs. 10-17mm FE is really two different animals... the W/A will have less distortion, but it's usually more difficult to get sharp edges on the W/A. I understand it can be difficult if you are doing existing light photography of wrecks, but I don't think using a marginally brighter lens is going to help you in that respect, you are going to want a big depth of field for most wide-angle stuff -- best thing you can do is use a higher ISO and then invest in a good noise reduction filter like Nik's DFine for post processing. Or buy a Nikon D3s :B):

     

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
  3. the Sigma 10mm is also a fisheye, so why should it have less coverage then a 10-17mm FE zoom ?

  4. the Sigma 10mm is also a fisheye, so why should it have less coverage then a 10-17mm FE zoom ?

     

     

    Sorry, I was confused -- I thought the original poster was talking about the Sigma Wide Angle lens. In that case, they would be much more comparable and the coverage should be both be 180 degrees on a Nikon and 167 degrees on a Canon at 10mm, yes?

  5. Besides the fact that the Sigma 10mm doesnt zoom, it is superior in every other way to the Tokina 10-17 in my opinion. The specs make it ideal for UW photography so no diopters or extension rings are required and matches dome ports with minimal loss of image quality. For any given aperture the corners are are considerably sharper than the Tokina. When you need it, you can use larger apertures with decent results all the way down to 5.6. Nice bright viewfinder image as well! I have convinced quite a few uw photogs to give the Sigma a try and they are all still prefering it to the Tokina. I really dont even miss the loss of zoom anymore!

    Edited by AndreSmith
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.