Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Very dim LCD & EVF w/ Sony DSC 707 in manual mode

Started by EauBoy ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Very dim LCD & EVF w/ Sony DSC 707 in manual mode

4 posts
  1. This topic is pretty much the same as one I posted in the lighting forum. I've since figured out that it is a camera-specific issue, not a lighting issue. My apologies to anyone reading this a second time.

     

    Here's the situation: I want to shoot w/ aperture priority and/or full manual. The ISO is set to 100. If I use aperture priority, say f8, then the shutter speed comes out too slow, even though the flash is there to make a good exposure. So, I have to go to full manual. That works pretty well. I can set f8 and 1/100th (or there 'bouts) and get a good exposure with the flash/strobe.

     

    Here's the problem: I cannot compose with manual settings in moderate or dim light. The camera doesn't illuminate the LCD much at all. Like it is saying "hey smartguy, with the manual settings you've selected this will be a dark picture, and I'm showing you what it will look like". When I half-press the shutter, the camera briefly illuminates the LCD while it autofocuses, then goes dark again. If I proceed with the shot, it goes fine; the flash/strobe does the job. But clearly it is next to impossible to compose a good shot in this situation.

     

    If I use auto, then everything is fine, at least in moderate light. But I don't want all of my exposures to be f2 and 1/40th.

     

    If I go to shutter priority, then I can force it up to, say, 1/100th, but as I do, the display starts to dim again. I can only imagine that in lower light situations such as when diving, that even modest manual settings will yield a dim display.

     

    It seems like there should be two ways to prevent this from happening:

    1 -> The camera should be able to compose with the aperture wide open, only closing the aperture when I press to shoot. That way, I'd get plenty of light to compose.

     

    2 -> The camera should sense the flash/strobe in aperture priority during the pre-flash sequence and add enough light to allow the camera not to use a ridiculously slow shutter speed.

     

    It just doesn't seem right that the camera could (if it wanted to) show me the extra light during composition, but chooses not to.

     

    Please note that the Sony DSC 707 (and other models) have what they call a 'nightframe' mode, which seems to be IR viewing for low light situations. This IS very good for framing in low light and may be a handy feature on the camera. It is NOT however an option when shooting manual. So, I'm back to f2 and 1/40th on all of my shots.

     

    Does anyone have insight to this problem? Especially a fellow DSC 707 user? I'm using the camera in an Ikelite housing with their DS-50 strobe, but the camera behaves the same way in or out of the housing. This is NOT a problem with the housing or strobe, as far as I can tell.

     

    Thanks!!!

  2. Eauboy,

    Problem is not the housing or strobe. It is the way the F707 works. What you see through the LCD or viewfinder is what the camera believes it will record without flash.

    There is no workaround other than using a large light source to illuminate the subject. I have the same problem with my F707. I would continue using the manual settings and just learn to live with fact that you can't truly frame the subject until you half-depress the shutter. My housing has a "pre-shutter" button which makes it easy for me to do this. The pre-shutter is a function of the remote port on the camera.

     

    You can still get some good shots but you will have some difficulty shooting a subject that likes to move a lot. One away around that is to setup the shot prior to pointing at the subject. If you wish to record a picture of a shark as it swims within 2 feet of you, point the camera at your fin holding it 2 feet away, half-depress the shutter to set the focus and hold that until the shark comes around. Tedious, yes, but it does work.

     

    Good luck

    Mark

  3. Mark,

     

    Thanks for your reply. It's good to know that other 707 users are still able to get good pics with this setup. I have purchased a bright (if a bit too narrow) mini-C light from Ikelite which I'll mount in parallel to the strobe to aid in lighting and composing. In dry experimentation with this solution shooting moving subjects is next to impossible, but I'm fairly sure that the nudibranchs won't escape me!

     

    Can you tell me more about the pre-shutter option that you're using? My half-press requires a delicate touch with the shutter control that may be difficult to master.

     

     

    Regards...

  4. The Amphibico housing I have has elcetronic controls for power/zoom/pre-shutter. The housing plugs into your camera in the port located on the lense to the right of the flash.

    It looks like Amphibico had imitated the Sony "Remote Commander" which can be found in accesseries for the f707 and f717.

    Without the pre-shutter button, you will probably have a difficult time holding the shot.

     

    You may be able to modify the Remote Commander and your housing but would require some cutting and drilling...

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.