Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Great Barrier Reef - Between Dive Editing

Started by wagsy ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Great Barrier Reef - Between Dive Editing

12 posts
  1. Hi

    Here is another little clip.

    This dive site is called Steve's Bommie. The footage was shot using my Sony FX1 and the Discovery G3 HID light.

    No colour correction was used in post nor any filter on the camera.

    The camera's white balance was set before I got in for the dive.

    Each dive the raw HDV mts footage was cut up on my little i5 laptop using EDIUS in between dives.

    Adds a whole new meaning to same day edit..... In between dives edit :B):

    It was overcast and the water vis not the best.

     

  2. I was going to make a dumb joke that it was nice of them to name a bommie after me until I saw the memorial plaque. I never even tried such a quick edit. Usually I don't even look at my footage until a few weeks later.

    Steve

  3. Hi Steve

    Yes the dive site was named after a bloke that lost his life on his motor bike riding up to Port Douglas some years ago.

    It was his favorite dive site.

     

    Well I don't want to be up all hours on the boat editing so its best to edit each dive straight away before the next one.

     

    Then as each days diving is done a full HDV mts file is rendered out and watched on the big screen each night.

    You then have a great back up of the edited dives for the day in case something goes wrong.

    The trip DVD needs to be all done on the boat before they get off.

  4. Than ks for sharing! What are all those people doing swimming around without cameras? They seem to be enjoying themselves, very strange.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  5. Hey Wags,

    The worst boat I have ever been on was in Port Douglas sometime in the mid 80's. We had a week to kill before getting on one of Mike Ball's liveaboards and we went on a boat called "The Quicksilver'. Never in my life had I been on such a horrible cattle boat. I remember that my buddy and I still had more than half a tank when the divemaster signaled us to ascend because a bunch of the divers had already gone through their tanks. We refused and finished the dive anyway. I wonder if that ship is still there, I recall a hundred snorkelers and tons of sightseers and a horrible lunch on board.

    Steve

  6. Than ks for sharing! What are all those people doing swimming around without cameras? They seem to be enjoying themselves, very strange.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    :) Steve, I have to agree. The divers really look happy and relaxed. Can't remember when I went in the water without my camera and truly just took pictures with my own eyes and not through a lens. But I know on that one dive without my rig, I would find the perfect shot and later beat the crap out of myself that I didn't take it. The curse of a photographer. My wife hates me for that, because sometimes i spend up to 20 min on one spot, while shes fuming behind me out of boredom and the same dive group has passed us twice.

     

    Nice video by the way. I usually take a lot of time editing my videos at home after a trip. That's pretty fast in between dives, especially when you are not using stock footage like some other dive boats are. Great job.

     

    Cheers,

     

    Henrik

  7. O yes the cattle trucks and pontoons, perfect for mum, dad, grandma, grandpop, kids and lollipop divers.

    Quicksilver is still around...

     

    Lets see now....I can remember some funny questions from years ago.

    Gee the water is really salty.

    Is that real coral.

    Its 30 degrees in the water and a lady says, brr its freezing.

    Do you have to get in the water to go on the snorkel tour.

    Then the guy who had a 3 mm wet suit and life vest going into a full on panic attack and needed rescuing.

    O the memories.........

     

    The people who come out on Taka are all pretty relaxed and generally know how to dive.

    The more that don't dive with a camera the better for me o...and Peter. :)

     

    I may sometimes throw in a stock shot or two but getting to know where everything is makes it pretty easy.

    Simple edits to the beat of the music is pretty easy to cut up. KISS

  8. Hi Wagsy,

     

    Nice edit. It is a pretty action packed day on that boat isnt it! Dive-edit-eat-dive-edit-eat-dive-edit-eat....eventually a beer and some sleep.

     

    Steve's Bommie is still one of my favorite dive sites, had some amazing days there on a bright day with good vis.

     

    Oddly enough I even used that track when I was over there!

     

    Are you using your laptop by choice? Are the Mac desktops still on board?

     

    Anyways well done!

     

    Kelly

  9. Hi Kelly.

     

    Yes steves is a nice dive but still waiting to nail it on a calm sunny good vis day.

    Its only a matter of time.

     

    How long were you doing it for.

    Editing on the PC laptop makes it very easy and much faster, everything is real time, no rendering.

    I can even do the first dive of the last day, edit and make the PAL and NTSC DVDs.

     

    The desktop Quad iMac is just way to slow and has to render everything.

    Over 3 hours to make a NTSC DVD then you got to make a PAL one after that lol.

  10. Hey Wags,

    The worst boat I have ever been on was in Port Douglas sometime in the mid 80's. We had a week to kill before getting on one of Mike Ball's liveaboards and we went on a boat called "The Quicksilver'. Never in my life had I been on such a horrible cattle boat. I remember that my buddy and I still had more than half a tank when the divemaster signaled us to ascend because a bunch of the divers had already gone through their tanks. We refused and finished the dive anyway. I wonder if that ship is still there, I recall a hundred snorkelers and tons of sightseers and a horrible lunch on board.

    Steve

    Funny Steve, we went on Quicksilver around 2001 and I managed to get banned from a dive because I failed to get to a their required depth by only 1 metre......I'd have had to have dug a hole in the sand to get there!!! Was not impressed. :)

     

    Jo

  11. Hi Wagsy,

     

    Yes I had some late one's on the last night of the trip on the Mac.

     

    I was only there about 5 months 2008-2009. I do miss it and hope to make it back there some day!

     

    Enjoy and thanks for posting.

     

    Kelly

  12. Jo thats pretty funny.....don't want you doing a reverse profile now.

     

    Kelly did you get to see the Minkies?

     

    Here I am in action...lol

    Thats my Phenom underneath me.

    It was interesting diving like that on a 1000 meter wall.

    For stills I am using my old Nikon D70 in a Sea & Sea.

    ccm_0714.jpg

     

    And one more.

    ccm_0945.jpg

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.