Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Fiji Nudibranch

Started by jimbo1946 ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Fiji Nudibranch

6 posts
  1. Photographed this little (3 cm) fellow last month in the Vatu-I-Ra Channel in Fiji. I can't find him in any of my sources. Sorry - it's not a real good shot - only the back of his head.

     

    Any ideas?

     

    Thanks,

    Jim

     

    Nudi_1.jpg

  2. Wow, this one is great find.

     

    It isn't in my "standard" books, but amazingly is on the dust cover of a Japanese book I have - "Opisthobranchs of Kerama Islands" by Ono Atsushi and is shown on page 75 as a "Trapania sp" which generally means unidentified. It was found in Zamani Island.

     

    It is also on page 71 of another Japanese book I have, "Opisthobranchs of Bali and Indonesia" by Takamasa Tonozuka. He calls it Trapania sp A. His was found in the Karimunjawa Islands.

     

    I looked on the Sea Slug Forum and he is listed as Trapania sp 1 and can be seen here:

    http://www.seaslugforum.net/trapwam.htm#m3666

    Scroll down and you will see photo of a black and white version like yours.

     

    You might want to send in your shot to the forum, as Fiji is a new location to have found it.

     

    Regards, Linda I.

  3. Thanks, Linda, I really appreciate the information. As you suggested, I sent a report with two images to the Sea Slug Forum.

     

    Much thanks!

     

    Jim

     

    Nudi_02.jpg

  4. Hi!

     

    Please, send a copy to MedSlugs too. They'll love it. There's also a bunch of links to pictures of various kinds of Trapania but I didn't find time to browse through all of them to find if yours is amongst them.

     

    Helge ;-)=)

  5. Thanks, Linda and Helge!

     

    Jim

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.