Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Compiling a book or gallery show

Started by loftus ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Compiling a book or gallery show

5 posts
  1. I always find it interesting how different individuals respond differently to images and some prefer one image over another. I've noticed this when I post my images and when others post theirs. Which leads me to a question, when one compiles a book or show with a limited number of images to use in the book or show, should one choose only images that are the photographer's favorite, the viewers' favorite as tested with forums like wetpixel, a mixture of both....

    It can be argued that the photographer's favorites give a more accurate expression of what the photographer is trying to express, on the other hand, the viewers' favorites are more likely to appeal to the general public and result in more interest.

    What do folks think?

  2. The ones that both the photographer AND the public likes :P

    But I think your personnal favorites MUST be in here, and if not enough you can complete with mixing :B):

    Edited by Autopsea
  3. I was a professional stand-up comic for many years, and a similar question arose often among young comics. Should I give the audience what it wants, or should I stay true to myself and give them what I like? Often, giving the audience what it wants results in material that is generic and sometimes even cliche, but insures lots of laughs. Conversely, your personal statement may not appeal to some audiences, and although honest, you risk not getting the laughs. The question ultimately is, "Am I trying to be an entertainer, or am I trying to be an artist?" Once you answer that question for yourself, you'll what to do.

     

    Just my two cents worth, but I hope it helps.

     

    Randall

  4. I've found that I can't pick images for competitions, but when I show a series most people are impressed. There is something diffreent between picking images to tell a story and picking a single, good image. I'm d*****d if I know what that difference is!

     

    :)

     

    Tim

     

    :B):

    Edited by tdpriest
  5. It depends on what you are doing and why. If you simply want to have an exhibition of your images that you most like, then do so. If you are trying to tell a story or illustrate a specific idea/place/theme then the coherent whole should take precedence. If its simply about displaying imagery that consists of each image as a 'stand alone' with no link to the ones before or after then you have to decide what goes in and why. No simple answer I'm afraid. Competitions are something else (I don't go in for them now) and require research and a lot of work to take and submit suitable imagery.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.