Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

hitch hiking crab

Started by diver dave1 ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

hitch hiking crab

2 posts
  1. 5767375790_0b33970403_z.jpg

     

    5766833499_2ecd6cae6e_z.jpg

     

    So, I am doing the Kona black water dive.. a.k.a. Pelagic magic with Jack’s Dive Locker. As I look at a few of the photo’s of the dive, I find a hitch hiking crab.

    Any chance of an identification on it?

  2. Hi Dave -- That crab looks like it's newly settled out of the megalopa stage which means it doesn't have the adult shape yet and can't be id'ed, sorry. A lot of different species are accidental jelly riders. For some, like the US west coast Cancer gracilis it's a regular way of life. They feed on amphipods which prey on the jellies or steal part of the jellies' food.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.