Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Olympus C5050 - SuperMacro Mode

Started by ColinH ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Olympus C5050 - SuperMacro Mode

8 posts
  1. Is it possible to use the Super Macro Mode successfully on the C5050. As I understand it, when in SuperMacro the internal flash is deactivated. I will be using an Ikelite DS125 strobe with the Ikelite DS Sensor (4100.5). The camera is housed in an Olympus PT-015 housing.

     

    What are users recommendatios for setting on this camera for macro and wide angle photography (using Epoque DCL20).

     

    Many Thanks,

     

    Colin.

  2. Hi,

    You can set your internal flash to slave mode with intensity from 1-10, of course you do not have TTL in this way but at least you can trigger your DS125.

     

    Hope this helps.

     

    Nawk

  3. If you set your c5050 flash function to slave while in Smacro, you can get the digicam to force a flash. This flash intensity is controlled by duration. You will have ten settings available. The TTL sensor can mimic the duration of this burst. Hopefully one of those settings will illuminate your composition to your liking. For further info, follow this link:

     

    http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/oly5050slave.html

     

    BTW, I have calculated that slave setting #6 is roughly equivalent to a GN of 6 when the DS 125 has the diffuser installed and ISO sensitivity is set to 100. Therefore, in theory, if you:

     

    set camera to manual

    aim your ttl sensor at the blocked, on board flash,

    set ISO to 100

    set the DS 125, diffuser installed, to TTL, sensor switch to right

    c5050 to slave intensity #6

    c5050 to Smacro

    Aperture to f/8

    strobe to subject distance 9"

     

    That should get you in the ball park. Again, this is all theory based on GN=A*D, DS 125 UW GN full power =32, 22 with diffuser, ISO=100, and slave intensity 6 duration= 1/16th power of DS 125.

     

    BTW if this is too much light, lower the ISO to 64, move the strobe further back, or choose a lower ( and shorter duration) slave intensity.

  4. I started a thread on a similar topic in September last year which concluded in a series of test using the DS-50 with the same sensor as yours (4100.5).

     

    Check out the following link for the thread:

     

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3362

     

    and the following link for my test:

     

    http://www.gans.co.nz/dive/5050_DS50_TTLTest/

     

    I should add that I have been happily using both the Ikekite DS-50 with 4100.5 remote sensor and Inon D-180 while in SuperMacro mode on the C5050Z. I usually use a slave setting of 5.

     

    Colin (Gans)

  5. Thanks for all the info. Theres a lot to take in. Having been recommended to this site by Martin Edge, I need to understand all this prior to the coming weekend when I'm on one of his courses.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Colin

  6. This is my first post. I have the C-5050 with PT-015 housing. Now isn't it true that flash is avalible in SM AF and not in SM MF? In Oct. I set a my mode that is SM MF with slow 1 flash and it works ok. Now when I go to M mode and in either SM AF or SM MF I get no options to use the flash. I wonder if there is somthing wrong with my camera. Any thoughts about this?

  7. though i dive with a 5050/pt-015, i'm not an expert with it

     

    to flash in supermacro mode, i need to set the flash as slave

    (using the menu system) and turn the mode dial to M (manual

    aperture and manual shutter speed)

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.