Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

fp7000 housing

Started by srdiver ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

fp7000 housing

1 posts
  1. I recently purchased an FP7000 underwater housing. Upon taking delivery I was surprised to find that there was no lens protector for the housing. I also could not purchase a protector. I sacrificed the flash diffuser that comes with the housing to rig it as a protector. It turns out that you need the diffuser because the flash aperture shades the flash resulting in part of the frame illuminated while a part is shadowed.

     

    I traveled to Fiji and used the camera for six days and within this limited experience it appeared to do the job. On the sixth day the housing broke. The liveaboard I was on uses skiffs and on the trip to the reef all cameras are handed to the driver and are set on the floor of the skiff during transit and returned to the diver in the water. I proceeded with to dive and about fifteen minutes into the dive I saw water collecting in the casing. I immediately surfaced. The housing broke while in transit. A broken piece was found on the skiff floor. Most divers were photographers and I was the only one who experienced a problem. To me, the handling of the cameras appeared to be within what you would expect in a dive situation. No cameras were dropped or thrown. The boat and crew has the highest reputation in Fiji and I have only compliments for their professionalism. I have over 500 hours logged and most of them with cameras.

     

    The leakage problem was a broken case near the outer O ring. The case comes with two O rings. The inner O ring kept the camera from flooding badly but it failed to keep water out. Fantasea sent me an email that said they never tested, nor do they intend to test, the inner O ring for its performance under pressure.

     

    When I tried to buy just the part that broke Fantasea said that they would not sell me the part but would sell me another housing for $300. This surprised and dismayed me.

     

    I am not taking fantasea up on their offer.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.