Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

How to split Sea & Sea extension rings?

Started by frogfone ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

How to split Sea & Sea extension rings?

8 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    Hoping someone can help with a small problem...

     

    I have a 22mm extension ring and a NX-RDX port converter for my Sea & Sea Housing but I can not get them apart.

     

    No big problem, but would just like to check and grease the o ring. May also need to change the extension ring at some point and am stumped how to go about it.

     

    TIA

     

    Roddy

  2. ... I can not get them apart...

     

    A pair of rubber strap wrenches should work:

     

    post-4522-1307042583.jpg

     

    I carry a medium-sized one in my dive bag.

     

    Tim

     

    :)

  3. I had a similar problem with a compact flat port and extension ring.

     

    I soaked it in warm water and them applied a good dose of brute force and ignorance and never left them together for very long afterwards.

     

    For storage they live together but without the o-ring.

     

    Just be careful you don't cross thread them when you are putting them back together, on mine its easy to do.

  4. +1 for rubber strap wrenches. I had the same problem with my Ikelite 8" dome port and extension ring, and the wrenches did the trick. Don't leave it screwed in for too long after diving or it may get stuck.

  5. +2 for rubber strap wrenches. I had the same problem......:-)

  6. Hi guys

     

    i have now tried 2x strap wrenches and heating the rings then strap wrenches but still no joy. I heated them in boiling water would it be worth trying to heat them above 100oC in an oven and if so how high would you go?

     

    the rings are lugged so there is no chance of cross threading.

     

    they have now been stuck for 6 months and two dive trips.

     

     

    Roddy

  7. If the rings are aluminum you might try a small amount of a penetrating oil. Let it soak then try again.

    Good luck.

    It sounds like they may have a little corrosion that is holding them?

  8. If the rings are aluminum you might try a small amount of a penetrating oil. Let it soak then try again.

    Good luck.

    It sounds like they may have a little corrosion that is holding them?

    Do you access to an ultrasonic bath? If you do and its big enough you could try them in there with some hot water and maybe a dash of citric acid powder. If you use penetrating oil, make sure to give them a very good clean after and be prepared to bin the orings as the oil can damage them.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.