Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Tokina 10-17 for Nikon

Started by markj ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Tokina 10-17 for Nikon

12 posts
  1. It is obvious that the Tokina 10-17 is the current favorite for UW wide-angle; almost every website says that it is the first lens to buy.

     

    However, this forces a "Nikon Person" (someone who already has a lot of Nikon gear) to buy a higher-end Nikon body to get autofocus with this lens.

     

    Am I correct?

     

    I would prefer to get a D3100 or D5100 but I am "forced" to get a D90 or D7000 to use this lens. (A used/refurbed D90 has an OK price but it is last generation and the D5100 is arguably better.)

     

    I assume that Nikon has completely abandoned building motorized bodies at the lower price points.

     

    So...any rumor Tokina will offer a Nikon-motorized version of this lens--they did this with the second version of the 12-24.

     

    If not...is there a motorized alternative lens for Nikon that is similar?

     

    This is all kind of crazy on Nikon's part...I am really considering a jump to Canon (T2i+Tokina 10-17)...I'm sure others are in the same boat.

    Edited by markj
  2. As a Nikon D40 shooter, there are a couple of points to be made:

    - You are correct, the lower end Nikon bodies will not autofocus with non AF-S lenses, including the Tokina 10-17 and I don't think this is expected to change. Nikon's 10.5 mm fisheye is also not AF-S.

    - Not being able to use non AF-S lenses also affects your ability to use certain other useful lenses, such as the old AF-D 60 mm macro lens. This is relevant if you want to use a teleconverter for supermacro shots, as the AF-S 60 mm macro lens does not autofocus with teleconverters.

    - An equally big issue with the lower end bodies is that in manual mode, the shutter speed and aperture are both controlled by the same dial. Not having a dedicated aperture dial at your fingertips can be quite a hindrance.

     

    For the reasons above (as well as slow autofocus, low res LCD screen, few focus points), I am not happy with my D40 and am planning to upgrade soon.

  3. You can also try a D200 (which I still love) or a D80. Both of which you can find very cheap and are probably easier to house...

  4. You can also try a D200 (which I still love) or a D80. Both of which you can find very cheap and are probably easier to house...

     

     

    The difference between the price of a new 5100 is $899 and a D7000 is $1199. That's not that big a deal in the overall scheme of things. You will be on the hook for anywhere between $3500-7000 for body/lens/housing/strobe and ports for any of these cameras, right? If you are planning on sticking with your purchase for awhile, choose the body very carefully since that will lock you into a housing; lenses/ports and adapters are cheaper than swapping to a new body/housing combo.

     

    If you are starting up a DSLR system and you are set on Nikon, here's my recommendations:

     

    1) If you need to keep costs down, buy a used housing/body/ports like a D200/D300/D90/D80 system. You could easily chop that $5000 system in half if you buy used.

    2) If you must buy new, don't cheap out to the tune of $300 on the body for a $5000 system, go for the D7000, you will be much happier in the long run.

    3) T2i + 10-17 is a good choice too, but it's the same argument. Don't base your U/W system on the lowest cost camera body.

     

     

    JP

    Edited by johnspierce
  5. The difference between the price of a new 5100 is $899 and a D7000 is $1199. That's not that big a deal in the overall scheme of things.

    I see the D5100 is $799 today on Amazon, but point taken.

     

    In my view, lenses are more important than bodies, and I am really just looking for a cost-effective platform to "host" the 10-17.

     

    The real competition to the D7000 in my view is the T2i; I can get both the T2i and the 10-17 for $1299 today on Amazon, only $100 more than the D7000 alone.

     

    Plus, the small, form-fitting housings available for the T2i look awful sweet.

     

    Thanks for your thoughts,

    Mark

  6. I see the D5100 is $799 today on Amazon, but point taken.

     

    In my view, lenses are more important than bodies, and I am really just looking for a cost-effective platform to "host" the 10-17.

     

    The real competition to the D7000 in my view is the T2i; I can get both the T2i and the 10-17 for $1299 today on Amazon, only $100 more than the D7000 alone.

     

    Plus, the small, form-fitting housings available for the T2i look awful sweet.

     

    Thanks for your thoughts,

    Mark

     

    I could be wrong, but I believe the d7000 is more on par with the canon 7d and the d5100 is a more accurately compared to the T2i? I know the d7000 is quite a bit better at higher ISO.

     

    http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_Rebe...-vs-Nikon_D7000

     

    Now that I've looked at it a bit, I will say the T2i competes with the d3100, not d5100.

    Edited by johnspierce
  7. Now that I've looked at it a bit, I will say the T2i competes with the d3100, not d5100.

    Hi John,

     

    You are correct.

     

    Since I take a lens-centric view on photography, I conclude:

     

    The D7000 is the least expensive modern Nikon body that can host the 10-17,

    and

    the T2i is the least expensive modern Canon body that can host the 10-17.

     

    I am not a good enough photographer for the body choice to make much difference; however, in California conditions, you can't have much "fun" without a wide-angle lens, and it appears that the 10-17 is probably the most "fun" lens out there.

     

    Thanks again,

    Mark

  8. Let's not forget the sony slrs.

     

    The a580 has the same sensor as the d7000, with the price of the t2i. A really useable live view, where the camera can keep using phase detect AF system.

     

    Does it have a built in motor, or not? Hmm, does tokina make the 10-17 in sony alpha mount?

     

    The a55 is another very interesting choice, eh. Full phase detect, AF in video mode too.

  9. I agree with JP regarding spending more money on the body isnt a big deal at the end of the day after you already sent a few thousand on everything else.

     

    Regarding Don's Sony comment; I dont think the Tokina 10-17mm comes in a sony mount. The Sony's only have a very limited range of housing on offer. Limited range of lenses on offer also.

     

    Regards Mark

  10. One thing is for sure, any current body is better than what you could buy 4years ago and any body you buy 4 years from now will be better than the current ones.

     

    You very likely will be using the same lenses :)

     

    JP

  11. One thing is for sure, any current body is better than what you could buy 4years ago and any body you buy 4 years from now will be better than the current ones.

     

    You very likely will be using the same lenses :)

     

    JP

    Good point John. Selecting a Nikon or Canon body puts you into a "system". I my system evolved with the F3HP, F4s, N90s, D200, and D80. I sold by old 50 mm f/1.8 AIS, but I use the rest of my Nikkor lens arsenal. The question is which system? Given a few more iterations, lenses, and a pro oriented UI, Sony will become a big player. (IMHO).

    Bob

  12. Hi I m selling my D80 set up with ikelite housing and a few other bits great condition hardly been used. If you are interested you can contact me on spidercrab2001@yahoo.com. I have also put an add on the classified section on wetpixel.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.