Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Lion sole(?) binomial name needed

Started by gina ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Lion sole(?) binomial name needed

4 posts
  1. I saw this flatfish in Roatan. He was found on a sandy bottom in about ten feet of water. The locals call it a "lion sole," but it's not in the Reef Fish ID book (although rumour has it the Humann/DeLoach team will be there this week to try and find the critter). Does anyone know its binomial name? Web searches have been unsuccessful for me.

     

    5806401039_d94a6e847e.jpg

    lion sole by g-na, on Flickr

     

    Thanks,

    Gina

  2. Hi Gina,

     

    I've seen them a few times here in Roatan too. Around the shop they ID it as a Zebra Sole though I'm not entirely convinced. I saw a really small one yesterday, there's a shot it this blog post.

     

    http://www.danopendygrasse.com/Details/det...oatan-photo.php

     

    I'm curious too.

     

    dano

  3. Lined sole (Achirus lineatus)

     

    flatfish.jpg

    Edited by jlyle
  4. Lined sole (Achirus lineatus)

     

    Excellent, thanks very much jlyle! And wow, the guy in your photo sure is tiny. Mine was about three+ inches long.

     

    -Gina

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.