Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Plankton?

Started by Klausi ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Plankton?

3 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I found this unusual organism in the plankton 2 weeks ago, in Okinawa, Japan. Diameter ~ 1cm. I found this during a night dive, ~ 6 m deep, above a sandy area in ~ 12 m. Is this a type of invertebrate larva? It definitely does not look like any cnidarian to me, since there are no tentacles, and neither does it appear to be a salp. What is this? Thanks!

     

    Best,

     

    Klaus

     

    5802908025_2523c852cd.jpg

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacificklaus/...in/photostream/

  2. Hi Klaus - I'm stumped on this one. Do you have any other shots of it? Did it have one opening or two?

     

    The only thing it reminds me of is a semi-transparent tunicate that might have gotten swept off its rock. Take a look at some of the tunicates on Sealord's page - http://www.sealordphotography.net/Nature/G...101704897_TuHRV

    Edited by Leslie
  3. Hi Klaus - I'm stumped on this one. Do you have any other shots of it? Did it have one opening or two?

     

    The only thing it reminds me of is a semi-transparent tunicate that might have gotten swept off its rock. Take a look at some of the tunicates on Sealord's page - http://www.sealordphotography.net/Nature/G...101704897_TuHRV

     

    Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately, this is the only quality shot I have of this critter. The surface texture is indeed very similar of these tunicates. I didn't see any orifices, but it could have closed them down when it go detached?

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.