Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Bridal Burrfish?

Started by TisTam ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Bridal Burrfish?

4 posts
  1. I saw this small reddish-purple burrfish (approx 5-6 inches long) diving a shallow sheltered site at St Vincent with Bill Tewes who ID'd it as a Bridal (not Bridled) Burrfish. He said it's very rare, which may be why I can't find anything about it on the net. I particularly would like a latin/scientific name if anyone can help. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a full-fish photo as I was diving with 100mm macro and extension tube that day but hopefully a portrait is enough. I know several members have dived with Bill, so maybe you've also seen one?

     

    post-3303-1307442159.jpg

    post-3303-1307441242.jpg

    post-3303-1307442132.jpg

  2. Bridled burrfish (Chilomycterus antennatus)

     

    IMHO, "Bridal?" Someone is pulling your leg.

    Edited by jlyle
  3. Does the Bridled Burrfish come in this different colour (and size) variation? I've been diving in the Caribbean for many years and never seen a fish like this, although I've seen many Bridled Burrfish that match the description in the Humann/Deloach book, which describes it as 6-10 in, olive to yellow-brown with dark patches. This one was definitely no more than 6 in at the most, and quite a bright red-purple in colour, and also didn't have the larger dark patches, just all-over small spots. Could it be an intermediate-phase juvenile? Or is it a different species?

  4. Possibly an intermediate phase - note the black spots are still ocellated.

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.