Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea & Sea port on Hugyfot Housing

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea port on Hugyfot Housing

10 posts
  1. Some of you might have noticed my enthusiasm for the Hugyfot Hugycheck electronic pressure-testing system for ensuring I don't flood my camera. I've bought a lot of different housings in the past and have a lot of ports for them. It is my opinion that the Sea & Sea optical glass dome port (is it Athena?) gives the sharpest results from side-to-side across the frame.

     

    I can now fit it on my Hugyfot housing thanks to a Sea & Sea to Hugyfot converter now made by Hugyfot. (They make other types too.)

     

    Of course, a side effect is that I don't have to buy a macro port for the Hugyfot either!

  2. Some of you might have noticed my enthusiasm for the Hugyfot Hugycheck electronic pressure-testing system for ensuring I don't flood my camera. I've bought a lot of different housings in the past and have a lot of ports for them. It is my opinion that the Sea & Sea optical glass dome port (is it Athena?) gives the sharpest results from side-to-side across the frame.

     

    I can now fit it on my Hugyfot housing thanks to a Sea & Sea to Hugyfot converter now made by Hugyfot. (They make other types too.)

     

    Of course, a side effect is that I don't have to buy a macro port for the Hugyfot either!

     

    Not so fast, John!

     

    I partially flooded a Hugyfot D7000 at the World Champs that had been shining the green light during at least two hours prior to the dive... At least, the water income was very small and the camera and lens were saved (to tell the whole story, the alarm sounded for more than ten minutes and I thought it was a boat at the surface :) ). The following day (after cleaning the o-ring) everything went right...

  3. Not so fast, John!

     

    I partially flooded a Hugyfot D7000 at the World Champs that had been shining the green light during at least two hours prior to the dive... At least, the water income was very small and the camera and lens were saved (to tell the whole story, the alarm sounded for more than ten minutes and I thought it was a boat at the surface :) ). The following day (after cleaning the o-ring) everything went right...

     

    You obviously needed a more expensive camera in it! :)

  4. Hello,

     

    I have a Nikon D90 in a Hugyfot housing of course with the Hugy Check. I was on holiday and my alarm went off after 30 minutes of diving. I saw water in my housing but just a little bit. I went straight to the boat and opened my house and saw some water in my house. Dried it and everything was oke again. Did look good but could not see the problem and again on the second dive the same happened again. Again everything after drying was oke. Look closer and saw that of my port extension a piece was broken. Could not get the extension from the port some weeks before so I used a little bit of force and a little bit of plastic broke off. So always keep your ports and extensions greased well. I am not an expert but I think the Hugy Check saved me two times because of the inside pressure it keep leaking to a minimum.

  5. You are all trying to upset me. Are you secret agents from China? :)

  6. Hello John,

     

    No i think Hugyfot is nearly perfect. The problem with te port ex was my fault. The Hugycheck saved me.

    kudos to Hugyfot

  7. Hello John,

     

    No i think Hugyfot is nearly perfect. The problem with te port ex was my fault. The Hugycheck saved me.

    kudos to Hugyfot

     

    Surely, if the Hugycheck had done it's job, you would not have got in the water?

    Is that not the whole point of it? To check the housing is air tight on the surface?

  8. Hello Jack,

     

    I am no expert but leakage can come from changing pressure from different dephts. So on the surface there is no problem, but after changing depths you can have a leakage due to changing pressure. What the Hugy Check did due to the pressure already in the house is to keep the leakage to a minimum. But again I am not a expert but I like the Hugyfot housing.

  9. Today I sat in a lake and tried out the Sea & Sea optical port on the Hugyfot with the D700 and Sigma 15mm, ISO 2000 no strobe. Despite turbid conditions the shots were superbly sharp but the Sigma 15mm vignetted very slightly on the long side of the frame.

    Edited by John Bantin
  10. I received yesterday the Hugyfot D800 housing and wanted to check if the Sigma 15mm Diagonal Fisheye will vignette,

    or not as promised using my Athenas 170mm dome and a S&S to Hugyfot adapter.

    Result: The Sigma vignettes badly because of the 20mm long S&S adapter, the original Hugyfot acrylic 174mm dome don't vignette,

    but have some soft corners and photograph the grinding marks of the connection between dome and the bottom plate.

    :-(

     

    Anyway, the Athenas Port, the Sigma 15mm Diagonal Fisheye and the Nikon D800 are a very nice combination and maybe Athenas deceide to

    produce this dome with a Hugyfot Bayonet to avoid vignetting.

     

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.