I have Epoque 0.56x wide angle lens and I am looking for something better. Problem with this lens is that it leaves black corners when zoomed in the widest position.
I am thinking of getting Ikelite dome for Coolpix 5000 housing and some wide angle lens for it.
Nikon 19mm (WC-E68) would be one option, but it is not as wide as my existing 0.56x. Does this lens fill the frame without black corners?
Other option would be non-nikon wide angle Digital Optics 0.45x or Bower 0.38x lenses sold by Sharper Photo. Would these lenses work with Ikelite dome?
I can't say I have much experience with the two lenses you mentioned.
However, I have used the 5000 with the WC-E68 lens and the Ikelite housing.
The thing is, wideangle lenses for cameras with lenses where the front element moves are usually a special unique design for just that camera. So I'm not sure those other converter lenses will perform as well.
Secondly, wideangle lenses and dome ports are usually specially matched to work together. So putting one of those "non-nikon" lenses in the Ikelite port could result in poor image quality.
Sincerely,
James Wiseman
Sami,
I am not familiar with all the lenses you listed, but I have been using the Nikkor 19mm and Ikelite dome for more than a year now. The lense is very sharp, no vignetting at all, and of course it fits perfectly in the Ikelite dome. Another option would be to use the Inon wide angle lense with it's add on dome. From what I've read from other users it is very high quality as well.
My guess is that that the two lenses you list in your post are no name house brand junk lenses that the camera store sells at unbelievably high markup (yes I used to work in the photo industry).
Doug
Get the Nikon 19 mm and Ike dome port. Combo works perfectly from super wide angle to close macro. You will never regret it.
I have the 19mm lens and the Ike housing with the dome and it works perfectly!
I´m happy with it!
You can see pics in my web page.
Ok, thanks for advice. It seems that the old truth of buying cheap and good works here aswell, first you buy cheap and then you buy good . I will skip the cheap part and buy the ike dome and 19 mm lens.