Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

underwater clips with VFX

Started by WaterWorks ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

underwater clips with VFX

13 posts
  1. Hi WetPixel - it's been a looooong time since my last visit. "Hi" to all the old faces and "nice to meet you" to all the newer folk in here :)

     

    I put some post production VFX work to a couple of underwater clips from a while back and stuck them into my new(ish) VFX showreel...

     

    The manta trick was originally inspired by our very own Super-Mod Mike Veitch's photos of manta trains. (Sorry Wagsy, Drew and Shawn - you guys rock as well.... and so do all you other Mods out there :) )...

     

    The video mentions what software went into each shot inside the white frame of the video, underneath the clip, itself (I can suggest staying away from most of this stuff, unless you have a straight-jacket and medical health insurance cover :) ).

     

    Here's the short reel.... as always, I humbly appreciate any feedback you can offer... cheers for now, guys (and gals!)...

     

    [vimeo]22154710[/vimeo]

    Edited by WaterWorks
  2. :) :)
  3. I remember some of this when last you posted, the text on the car bit. You definitely have some mad skills. Hats off to you.

    Steve

  4. Brilliant! Bloody awesome. I was trying to do some motion tracking with titles etc but just can't get it to look really slick. Any tips or tutorials that you use?

  5. Thanks for the kind words, lads...

     

    RE motion tracking - best thing is to shoot fast... sod the 50 / 60 fps law in order to create natural motion blur... you need minimal motion blur so each frame has nice sharp detailing in it for your tracking software to follow...

     

    good luck with it and drop me a line if you've got any questions.... I may be able to track a shot for you, if you like :)

    Edited by WaterWorks
  6. Insane! God that's nuts Chris. Wish I had the foggiest how to do that LOL! Well done mate. :)

  7. I liked the Manta Rays.

    How many hours you think it took to put all those together?

  8. Insane! God that's nuts Chris. Wish I had the foggiest how to do that LOL! Well done mate. :)

     

    Thanks a lot Si - though you've prob got all those angles covered with Elasmo etc I'm for hire and available to join any worthwhile projects :) (my new, personal, site - still under build but getting there...)

     

    Thanks, Wagsy, that's my fave clip aswell - hope Mike sees it someday :) The whole showreel only took an afternoon to cut together.... the original man-hours that went into each shot would've been approx:

     

    iPhone clip - 3 days

    fake hotel - 4/5 days

    villa shot - 2 days (I was getting better at it by then :) )

    amphibico promo (shame I didn't get a chance to release it!) - many months!!!! (still unfinished :( )

    The Rock, logo opener - an hour, or so

    The Rock (next three clips are off original sequence) - 2 days

    Manta train - 3 days

    Alanta villa opening shot - 2 days

    Bungee jump - 4 days(ish?!?!)

    This is Krabi (seq 1) - a weekish

    This is Krabi (closing seq) - a day

     

    Hence me not being too active in these here forums nowadays :)

     

    All the best, lads.... if you have any ideas for some u/w VFX shots then gimme a shout and I'll see what we can bang together.

    Edited by WaterWorks
  9. That's a lot of days!

  10. That's a lot of days!

     

    spread over a good few years! :)

  11. It is actually good to hear as I have done a couple of the effects that you have and they took me similar times and they didn't look as good.

  12. AAAaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh !!!!! my minds just exploded ... :) like a Mushroom trip (well, so i'm told) Cool stuff in there mate will look at trying that stuff out myself as soon as I find the on button on my Laptop

     

     

    Dive safe

     

    Dean(my eyes!!! MY EYES!!!!)B

  13. Yeah love it!

     

     

    Wish I had a fast computer :)

     

    I tried Twixtor, but the renders were just ridiculous.

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.