Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Shooting grey seals

Started by Will_Clark ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Shooting grey seals

9 posts
  1. I'll be joining in with the fun and games at the Lundy Splash-In 2011 next weekend and have never shot grey seals before. I've had a good look around at what sort of images people take, some with strobes, some without etc- but I was hoping that someone might have some hints for me of how to keep the squirmy quick fellas near the front of my dome? I'm assuming Tokina 10-17 would be the lens of choice (reduced sensor size)??

  2. Sorry, cant say :)

  3. Hi Will,

     

    You could try the 10-22 if you have a Canon although the Tokina 10-17 does get good reviews. I'm just getting used to this and am looking forward to some seals this year, probably at the Farnes.

     

     

    Brett

     

     

    I'll be joining in with the fun and games at the Lundy Splash-In 2011 next weekend and have never shot grey seals before. I've had a good look around at what sort of images people take, some with strobes, some without etc- but I was hoping that someone might have some hints for me of how to keep the squirmy quick fellas near the front of my dome? I'm assuming Tokina 10-17 would be the lens of choice (reduced sensor size)??
  4. @Scubysnaps - just keep out of my field of view, that's all I ask. Oh and don't drink all the beer afterwards, that's my job :) :)

     

    @DiveLife - I have both the 10-22 and a 10-17, I've tended more towards using the Tokina for most wide angles. It's sometimes worth sticking a 1.4x converter behind it for close focus wide angle but I'm imagining these cheeky fellas need as wide as possible. Cheers.

  5. The trick is to let the seals come to you. Once you have a playful seal getting images is very easy. Try and take images of a seal that doesn't want to play and they will be mediocre.

     

    The best way to entice them is to do nothing! I tend to go in, start photographing kelp and wait for them to come to me. The young ones are most friendly and can give a very gentle tug on your fins. Many people don't even realise it is a seal. Avoid too much eye contact and be prepared to wait. Sometimes they want to play straight away. Sometimes it can take an hour in the water.

     

    Good luck.

     

    Alex

  6. Thank you Alex, All very useful. The "avoid eye contact" bit is something I'll keep in mind which I've used before when approaching creatures (including some humans :) ), as well as moving towards them diagonally so as not to appear too predatory - sometimes I think that a mirrored lens on a mask would be cool. I suspect having twin strobes can sometimes seem like big eyes to animals- I once had some anemonefish repeatedly headbutt a strobe the way they do to turtles' eyes.

     

    Cheers again, it should be fun.

  7. ahem will, i'm the host...u keep out of my field of view :) race u to the bar...seriously hard task once youre off the boat!

    lets hope we dont get a biter :)

  8. Many seals seem to enjoy and sometimes seek human interaction. I've had them biting and playing with my strobes, so I don't think they are intimidated by them!

     

    The key as Alex has said is to let them come to you. Having a bit of loose kelp floating about can persuade them to play!

     

    Regardless of the competition aspect this weekend, diving with seals is, in my opinion, one of the most amazing interactions out there. If they are in the mood, you are guaranteed to have a great time!

     

    Adam

  9. Scubysnaps - Im not sure whether your twins or my 15L will more in the way. My gut probably, actually ?!

     

    Cheers Adam, I know it's going to be great and a very novel experience for me :)

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.