Whats the idea behind the SSD's,
Hugh
Solid State Drives, no moving parts and better performance. If you get a MacBook Air, Max out the RAM and hard drive. Right now you can get a 256 Gig SSD drive in the 13" and since they are not really replaceable, having the extra room is a good idea if you can swing it. Drives can fill up quickly. As others mentioned the new Airs are coming real soon and apparently Apple is holding off until Lion is officially released.
We have a current 11" Air maxed out and it is a great machine for the size. With travel issues (weight and size) these small Airs are real nice. There is always a trade off with size and performance. I have a few laptops (15" and 17") and it is nice to have the screens for some things, but the less hassle of the smaller machines are very nice, even more so if you are not doing alot of work on trips. In other words to review footage and images, do some basic editing and organization, check emails and all the rest the Airs are nice. I find myself more and more doing the heavy computing when I come home and just trying to enjoy trips. If am I going somewhere for an extended period of time I may take the 17" because it is worthwhile to have, but for most things the trade off is worth the smaller size and weight. Dropping 4 to 5 pounds from my backpack, plus adding space, is worth it.