Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Does anyone say NO!

Started by thomhard ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Does anyone say NO!

10 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I'm impatiently awayting the arrival of my new D100.

    So this problem solved, the next one, a housing and Co., comes

    I'm interested in the Jonah housing but a little worried about all the problems people had.

    -with for example the button funktionality

    -the shoe that was to soft

    -the 8" dome being to loose

    and that kinda stuff.

    I also do understand Jonah is quite a new brand?

    So would anyone say no to this housing and rather buy something else?

    Then What?

    Or is it still recomendable and nothing to worry about?

    Thanks for any reply...

     

    thomhard :D

  2. Howdy, Thomhard, and welcome to Wetpixel! I don't know anything about the Jonah housing, but with all your concerns, would you really have confidence in it if you buy a Jonah?

     

    I have an Aquatica D100 housing and I love it. I think that Ikelite also makes an excellent housing (I don't have one, but my wife has an Ikelite video housing, and she loves it).

     

    Enjoy your D100, and I wish you luck in choosing a housing.

     

    Jim

  3. Hi Thom,

     

    I am one of the few here who have actual real experience with the Jonah D100 housing. Keep in mind this is a different housing than the one for the Canon 10D.

     

    If you haven't already read the review:

     

    http://www.wetpixel.com/reviews/d100_jonah/

     

    The thing is, I didn't get to dive the housing - I carried it out on the boat, Craig and I played with it on the camera table, and then the boat turned around due to a tropical storm...:-( So I can't say how the housing would perform after multiple dives...

     

    One thing I can say is that the 8" dome was not loose. That was someone elses comment about the 10D housing... The buttons on the D100 housing all made contact with the buttons on the camera for the unit I tested.

     

    This housing is a lot smaller and lighter than the Aquatica and the Ikelite - it's made specifically to fit the D100:

     

    review_html_62b4a2fb.jpg

     

    If you'll look at the comparison shots in the review you can see that it's REALLY small - even smaller than the Nexus - which IMO is the benchmark Aluminum housing for the D100.

     

    According to Prof Kim of Jonah, they have a new generation of housings coming out soon that have a different button design. Dr. Kim has also informed me that they have changed the handles to accept strobe mounts from popular American and Canadian manufacturers, as well as adding a lens release button to the front of the housing. I'm looking forward to trying one of these out in the future.

     

    Cheers

    James

  4. Hi Thom,

    I don't have the D100 housing but I do own the Jonah housing for the Canon 10D. Overall I have been very happy with the housing, there were a few minor tweaks I had to make including adjusting the internal buttons to either make more contact or reduce the amount of contact, but after those were made it has been trouble free. I was using the 30mm extension ring and 4" port both of which fitting perfectly. I do have to say that both the California distributor and the manufacturer in Korea have been exceptionally helpful. I was using a Sigma 17-35mm lens which has an 82mm filter diameter and Dr Kim manufactured a diopter for me as no-one is currently making that size any more. They are also in the process of creating a custom zoom gear for another of my Canon lenses, these guys seem to go the extra mile to make the customer happy. Also the cost of the Jonah housing is considerably cheaper than most of the currently available housings for the 10D.

    Now all I have to do is become a more proficient photographer and I'll be all set :D

     

    Cheers,

    Dave.

  5. thanks for the reply!

     

    I still haven't gotten the Camera! :D

    But it still has time till Friday!

     

    James a Question what is an IMO? :o

     

    Another thing is, I guess I almost made my desicion, but contacting Jonah Europe, wasn't of any success and the Californial Dealer wouldn't ship to Europe, understandable, but!

    Almost seems like thy are not intereasted in selling anything!

    Any Ideas?

     

    and as a last one a stupid one!

    I know what SLR is! but what does it stand for?

    Language problem!

     

    thomhard :D

  6. Hi Thom,

     

    IMO stands for In My Opinion.

     

    While possibly listed on the website, at this time, I don't think Jonah has a European distributor.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. I know what SLR is! but what does it stand for?

    Single Lense Reflex. :D

  8. Hi all!

     

    I also own a D100 and was interested in the Johna housing. So I wrote several mails to the korean and the european (info@jonah-europe.com) address. From Jonah Europe I got a reply which said, Jonah Europe is closing down end of 2003 due to quality and delivery problems. I got no reply from Korea.

     

    :D That all doesn't encourage me to buy anything. :D

     

    Regards from Germany

    Daniel

  9. To whom did you send the e-mails in Korea?

    I have never received any from Germany.

    If any of Korean distributors received the e-mails,

    then they do not know English well.

    Besides, European customers can purchase Jonah Housings

    through any of US dealers, as far as I know.

     

    With regards,

     

    KTKIM

    Jonah Housing

     

    ps. Soon there will be European dealers for Jonah housings.

  10. The last email I sent on december 17th to info@jonah-europe.com and korean@postech.edu as is given on the korean internet page.

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.