Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

UW SLR Set for a begginer

Started by Hararilior ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

UW SLR Set for a begginer

11 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I've started taking pictures UW a few years ago using a compact canon S80, and later with a Fantsea Nano kit.

     

    Recently, Neptun has decided is was time for my preciuose to go to camera heaven... I saw this as a sign from the gods, I must upgrade :))

     

    So the obviouse direction is to go DSLR, I don't want to buy something too expensive, cause a. I can't afford to and b. I probably won't know how to max its capabilities.

     

    So I thought of spending about 2500-3000 US$, and on intuition I kinda feel towards a D5100 or D3100.

     

    What are the Key features I am looking for in a DSLR camera for UW (So far I figured a big a sensor as I can afford, what else?)

     

    Can anyone recomend on a decent set for a begginer, whithin my budget.

     

    Hope I am not asking too much on my first post here :good:

     

    Thanks,

     

    Lior

  2. Hi,

     

    I've started taking pictures UW a few years ago using a compact canon S80, and later with a Fantsea Nano kit.

     

    Recently, Neptun has decided is was time for my preciuose to go to camera heaven... I saw this as a sign from the gods, I must upgrade :))

     

    So the obviouse direction is to go DSLR, I don't want to buy something too expensive, cause a. I can't afford to and b. I probably won't know how to max its capabilities.

     

    So I thought of spending about 2500-3000 US$, and on intuition I kinda feel towards a D5100 or D3100.

     

    What are the Key features I am looking for in a DSLR camera for UW (So far I figured a big a sensor as I can afford, what else?)

     

    Can anyone recomend on a decent set for a begginer, whithin my budget.

    ++++++++++++++++++++

     

    Take a look at a second hand system. Look at a housing with ports and strobes.

    This will get you into the game with a full system.

    Then, over time you can upgrade each part as you develop more experience.

    I am beginning to believe ports and lens are the long term articles and cameras & housings are the expendable/upgradable units.

    Go to Reef or Back Scatter, both advertise here, and see if you can swing a deal. Many of their used systems are there on consignment and you should be able to negoiate some discount!

  3. what Okuma said

  4. Also agree with Okuma the port system is the most important thing. search for second hand housings. don't worry to much about megapixels the port and the lens are far more important. About a year ago i upgraded from a 10bar housing to a sea and sea with a glass port, same camera same lens but the images are just so much sharper edge to edge than before.

     

    and don't forget to budget for some decent strobes such as YS110-a or Inon d240 etc. more light equals better pictures with any setup.

     

    Roddy

  5. Well,

    a new aluminium housing is already 2500-3000$, just got quotes for my D7000 housing including dome and flat port and the lowest was above 3000$

    You can get a Ikelite housing including both ports for about 2000$ and they are a excellent value for the $$$.

    Unfortunatly the choice of a D3100 or D5100 don't influence the price greatly, but as already said you can get a used rig for the price you are willing to spend.

    Consider in your price also a WA and Macro lens and at least 1 strobe to complete your rig.

    For the rest i agree with the answers above.

     

     

    Chris

  6. The least expensibe DSLR setup is an Olympus e-620 in an Olympus case with an Olympus flat port and a 14/54 Olympus lens. It is about $2500 for everything and you can take decent wide and macro shots with the same lens. I would add one or two INON s-2000 strobes and an UCLS tray making the total about $3500-$3800 for a two strobe setup.

     

    This system will outperform a Nikon D3100 or 5100 with the Nikon kit lenses. I had a Ikelite port ofr my D-200 and i'd say categorically that the Olympus housing is better mostly because it supports fibre optic connections to the strobes and the small Ikelite strobes are inferior to the S-2000 INON.

     

    To see the pictures this rig can take: http://www.tomandginnie.com/Wakatobi-It...he%20Reefs.html

     

    FYI, I am a Nikon D300 shooter with a $3800 metal case and multiple thousand dollar lenses so for the best I'd say a Nikon D-700 BUT for the price the Olympus.

     

    Tom

  7. One problem with the nikon low end SLRs is they are unable to focus lenses without focus motors.

     

    One of the most popular wide angle lenses is the tokina 10-17 fisheye. But I'm pretty sure it will not focus on the low end nikons.

     

    So you need a low end canon, (such as the t2i or t3i), to use that lens. Or a slightly higher end nikon, such as the d7000.

  8. So what did you end up getting and how do you like it?

     

    Hi,

     

    I've started taking pictures UW a few years ago using a compact canon S80, and later with a Fantsea Nano kit.

     

    Recently, Neptun has decided is was time for my preciuose to go to camera heaven... I saw this as a sign from the gods, I must upgrade :))

     

    So the obviouse direction is to go DSLR, I don't want to buy something too expensive, cause a. I can't afford to and b. I probably won't know how to max its capabilities.

     

    So I thought of spending about 2500-3000 US$, and on intuition I kinda feel towards a D5100 or D3100.

     

    What are the Key features I am looking for in a DSLR camera for UW (So far I figured a big a sensor as I can afford, what else?)

     

    Can anyone recomend on a decent set for a begginer, whithin my budget.

     

    Hope I am not asking too much on my first post here :)

     

    Thanks,

     

    Lior

  9. Not sure what you mean by "unable to focus lenses without focus motors". Do you mean that the lens has to have focus motors in it?

     

    Sorry, I'm just a newbie to all of this.

     

    DAve

     

    One problem with the nikon low end SLRs is they are unable to focus lenses without focus motors.

     

    One of the most popular wide angle lenses is the tokina 10-17 fisheye. But I'm pretty sure it will not focus on the low end nikons.

     

    So you need a low end canon, (such as the t2i or t3i), to use that lens. Or a slightly higher end nikon, such as the d7000.

  10. One problem with the nikon low end SLRs is they are unable to focus lenses without focus motors.

     

    One of the most popular wide angle lenses is the tokina 10-17 fisheye. But I'm pretty sure it will not focus on the low end nikons.

     

    So you need a low end canon, (such as the t2i or t3i), to use that lens. Or a slightly higher end nikon, such as the d7000.

     

    D90 will also work, about $500 cheaper than the D7000....still not dead and available on Adorama unlike the back ordered D7000!!

     

    Dave, newer lenses have a built in motor to focus themselves and thus lower end cameras can only auto focus with these lenses as they do not have a focus motor in the camera...whereas higher end cameras have a motor in the camera to auto focus lenses without a motor such as the tokina derway mentioned and many other lenses...

  11. ditto the D90 - and the Aquatica housing is also a lot cheaper than the D7000 option... although if i had the spare cash i would love the D7000 :)

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.