Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

1080/60p Editing for FCP7?

Started by daveerdoc ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

1080/60p Editing for FCP7?

11 posts
  1. Sorry if this is posted elsewhere but I didn't find it in a search..

     

    Just picked up the new Sony HDR-CX700V, where there is an option to shoot AVCHD video 1920x1080 at 60p, but have not found a way to convert this file to something I can edit in FCP. Clipwrap will re-wrap the AVCHD file, but Quicktime only displays a "black" screen during playback. I then tried to load this re-wrapped QT file into MPEG Streamclip, but Streamclip gives an error message saying "File format not recognized".

     

    Sony provides there proprietary software for editing on Windows, but I will be travelling with a Mac (leave tomorrow of course!)

     

    Adobe CS5 trial won't recognize it either..

     

    Anybody have any solutions? I would really like to shoot this material in the 1080/60p format (Spitzbergen/Arctic Ocean)

     

    Thanks in advance

  2. Sorry if this is posted elsewhere but I didn't find it in a search..

     

    Just picked up the new Sony HDR-CX700V, where there is an option to shoot AVCHD video 1920x1080 at 60p, but have not found a way to convert this file to something I can edit in FCP. Clipwrap will re-wrap the AVCHD file, but Quicktime only displays a "black" screen during playback. I then tried to load this re-wrapped QT file into MPEG Streamclip, but Streamclip gives an error message saying "File format not recognized".

     

    Sony provides there proprietary software for editing on Windows, but I will be travelling with a Mac (leave tomorrow of course!)

     

    Adobe CS5 trial won't recognize it either..

     

    Anybody have any solutions? I would really like to shoot this material in the 1080/60p format (Spitzbergen/Arctic Ocean)

     

    Thanks in advance

     

    Have you tried 1080/30p? Does it ingest OK at 30p? You might find no visible difference between 60p and 30p.

     

    AVCHD has never been a strongpoint of FCP. You might be able to get an app to convert it to ProRes before importing into FCP.

     

    Regards

    Peter

  3. Sorry to hear about the misadventure!

    But by the time you are back, FCP X will be out and it supposed to be better than sliced bread so it shouldn't have any trouble handling 60p footage (I hope!).

    I don't suppose that it is any better than ClipWrap, but did you try media converter which I mentioned in another thread? It had trouble handling the 60i footage of the Sony's (or maybe that's just me using it inappropriately), but it is a free, open source project, so maybe there is a preset for 60p AVCHD footage?

    Good luck!

  4. This is not my bag really, but have you tried doing a log and transfer direct from the cam into FCP?

  5. Clipwrap will re-wrap the AVCHD file, but Quicktime only displays a "black" screen during playback.

    BTW, my experience with ClipWrap tech support was outstanding. Very responsive and efficient. Did you mention your problem to them? Maybe they can come up with a "Discard every other frame" mode that would do the job for you?

    On another note, if you are into waiting for FCP X (and still crossing your fingers and hope it will support that format), making a disk image of your camcorder memory using Disk Utility will preserve the camcorder file structure and allow you to import all clips later on without any losses. So if you are OK to temporarily have to watch your clips on your LCD or an external output connected directly to the camcorder, you'll be fine...

    However, read this article about mixing format on your camcorder!

    Of course at 28 Mbps, you might not be able to store you whole trip on 96GB, so bring some large capacity SDXC to backup (and playback)!

    Enjoy the new toy..errr...tool!

    Edited by uwxplorer
  6. <br />BTW, my experience with ClipWrap tech support was outstanding. Very responsive and efficient. Did you mention your problem to them? Maybe they can come up with a "Discard every other frame" mode that would do the job for you?<br />On another note, if you are into waiting for FCP X (and still crossing your fingers and hope it will support that format), making a disk image of your camcorder memory using Disk Utility will preserve the camcorder file structure and allow you to import all clips later on without any losses. So if you are OK to temporarily have to watch your clips on your LCD or an external output connected directly to the camcorder, you'll be fine...<br />However, read <a href="http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-HDR-CX700V-Camcorder-Review/Compression-and-Media.htm" target="_blank">this article</a> about mixing format on your camcorder!<br />Of course at 28 Mbps, you might not be able to store you whole trip on 96GB, so bring some large capacity SDXC to backup (and playback)!<br />Enjoy the new toy..errr...tool!<br />
    <br /><br /><br />

     

     

    Of course there is no 1080/30p option (1080/60p, 1080/60i, and 1080/24p)

     

    Have not tried to log and transfer directly from the cam in FCP7 yet but will post the results as soon as I do..

     

    Downloaded the Aunsoft trial version; it appears to be able to read the file but exporting as ProRes hasn't proven as 'intuitive' as they claim ( website days you can export as QT ProRes file)

     

    Will post more when I can and I appreciate the replies so far..

  7. <br /><br /><br />

     

     

    Of course there is no 1080/30p option (1080/60p, 1080/60i, and 1080/24p)

     

    Have not tried to log and transfer directly from the cam in FCP7 yet but will post the results as soon as I do..

     

    Downloaded the Aunsoft trial version; it appears to be able to read the file but exporting as ProRes hasn't proven as 'intuitive' as they claim ( website days you can export as QT ProRes file)

     

    Will post more when I can and I appreciate the replies so far..

     

     

    FCP7 Log and Transfer does not work..

     

    Anybody have FCP X yet? I "think" it should work with this (Apple specs say resolution up to 4K and frame rates up to 60fps)..I wont be able to install it for another couple weeks but will post when I do

  8. You have to use clipwrap to transcode to Pro Res 60p to work with FCP.

     

    Adobe CS5/5.5 does work with this natively. I tried it with the 1080p60 from the Pana TM900. Maybe the trial doesn't work because it's not a full version.

    Edited by Drew
  9. MPEG Streamclip, which is a free download, will also do the job just fine. I use it for almost everything.

    Steve

  10. Another vote for MPEG streamclip, heaps faster than compressor and better.

    I would transcode to Proress 422 LT, it's smaller in size and I don't reckon you will notice the quality difference

  11. For AVCHD cams, Jonny is correct, the Pro Res LT will produce somewhat smaller files without a noticeable difference between that and standard Pro Res

    Steve

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.