Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sigma 17-70mm lens- advice

Started by Damo ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 17-70mm lens- advice

6 posts
  1. Hi folks,

     

    I currently use 60/105mm macro for close work, and tokina 10-17mm for wide work

     

    Now I'm looking to add another lens to my family- which will allow me a reasonable amount of 'catch all for every situation in between the two extremes'

    I have read that the Sigma 17-70mm Macro- is a good zoom for underwater work in this situation.

     

    Was just wondering what you guys think of this lens choice- do any of you use it on a sea and sea dx housing- and if so, what extension ring/port do you use???

    I know this is alot of info. to ask for- but any insights greatly appreciated as always.

     

    Thank u

  2. IMHO the Sigma 17-70 is a good scouting lens, used on my D200 and now D7000. Others may have alternates but I think it is a popular lens. I have been using the Tokina 10-17mm with a 1.4 Teleconverter but you have to like the fish eye effect.

  3. I have a Seatool housing for my D-300 and in order to get a zoom gear to work on the 17/70 (new style) I had Reef Photo permantly mount the zoom gear on the lens. I wanted to use a flat port because my wife uses a 14/54 Olympus lens on a Oly e-620 and gets both decent macro and semi-wide shots. I needed a flat port with a flair so that it eould not obstruct to view when the lens was full withdrawn. A dome port would have been easier but I wondered how macro would turn out.

     

    After all that trouble I have yet to use it. I'm still stuck on my 105 and subsee

  4. I've used the older model quite a bit on a Nikon D80 & D300s. As Martin said, it's a good scouting lens when you're not sure what you'll find. But I recently bought the Kenko 1.4 and using that with the 10-17 and Zen mini-dome. I think is a much sharper setup. It allows for the same "touch the dome" focusing and yet can also be used for CF/WA, etc. The range isn't as great as the 17-70, but I rarely used it about 35mm anyway. If you're farther than that you need to zoom with your fins...

     

    Still I like having it as an option, and it's far and away my favorite topside lens. For S&S you'll need a custom gear made.

     

    Jack

  5. quote name='TomR1' date='Jun 21 2011, 05:12 PM' post='285098']

    I have a Seatool housing for my D-300 and in order to get a zoom gear to work on the 17/70 (new style) I had Reef Photo permantly mount the zoom gear on the lens. I wanted to use a flat port because my wife uses a 14/54 Olympus lens on a Oly e-620 and gets both decent macro and semi-wide shots. I needed a flat port with a flair so that it eould not obstruct to view when the lens was full withdrawn. A dome port would have been easier but I wondered how macro would turn out.

     

    After all that trouble I have yet to use it. I'm still stuck on my 105 and subsee

     

    I have the old style Sigma 17-70 it has been my workhorse for 5 years, very versatile lens. I use Ikelite so can't comment on your housing but understand the new 17-70 not compatible with these housings as port too narrow. also use Tokina 10-17 and Sigma 105 (which is very slow focus). Macro down to 1:2 is good. 17-70 is a good lens if you don't know what is down there! This is with this lens Froggie was about 2inches tall.

    post-7708-1308682055.jpg

  6. I personally dont think much of the Sigma 17-70mm lens. I have the older version and its slow to focus at 17mm on larger subjects and not as good for macro on the other end of its focal range as the 60mm or 105mm. Everytime I go back and give the 17-70mm another try I always remind myself I should either take the Tokina 10-17mm or the 60/105mm.

     

    As other stated it serves its roll as general purpose scout lens but after the first dive you then make the decision which way to go (Tokina 10-177 or macro).

     

    Regards Mark

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.