Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 40D/100mm- Ikelite Port Suggestions

Started by Beyondthesurface ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 40D/100mm- Ikelite Port Suggestions

5 posts
  1. Hi All,

    I was lucky enough that my wife just bought me a new Canon 100m f/2.8 EF USM lens for my birthday!

    Now the hard part is selecting the port setup that will allow the most flexibility for future growth. My camera is a 40D, and I am using the Ikelite housing.

    I'm hoping on getting into some super macro in the future, so I would want to get the right port setup now that will allow me to do this.

    Auto focus vs. manual focus is also another decision to make.

    Can I please get some advice on the above, plus what is a good way of getting into super macro with the 100mm!

     

    I also have the Canon 60mm EF-S with a standard flat port and a Tokina 10-17mm with the 8" Dome modular port system.

  2. Hi All,

    I was lucky enough that my wife just bought me a new Canon 100m f/2.8 EF USM lens for my birthday!

    Now the hard part is selecting the port setup that will allow the most flexibility for future growth. My camera is a 40D, and I am using the Ikelite housing.

    I'm hoping on getting into some super macro in the future, so I would want to get the right port setup now that will allow me to do this.

    Auto focus vs. manual focus is also another decision to make.

    Can I please get some advice on the above, plus what is a good way of getting into super macro with the 100mm!

     

    I also have the Canon 60mm EF-S with a standard flat port and a Tokina 10-17mm with the 8" Dome modular port system.

     

    Sorry, I might off topic!

    Buy would you share about the pro & Cons of the 40D ikelite housing?

  3. Sorry, I might off topic!

    Buy would you share about the pro & Cons of the 40D ikelite housing?

     

    No dramas that I have found. It has been a great unit so no complaints from me!

    All controls work well.

     

    I ended up going with the modular port system with the manual focus extension to be sure and get the good quality glass. First dives with the system were during a trip to the Maldives and absolutely love it! Great quality and works well in the clearer water.

    Here's a sample pic which is my favourite from the whole trip:

     

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/beyondsurf...nemonefish-face

  4. No dramas that I have found. It has been a great unit so no complaints from me!

    All controls work well.

     

    I ended up going with the modular port system with the manual focus extension to be sure and get the good quality glass. First dives with the system were during a trip to the Maldives and absolutely love it! Great quality and works well in the clearer water.

    Here's a sample pic which is my favourite from the whole trip:

     

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/beyondsurf...nemonefish-face

     

    Great shot, was it shot by 100mm?

    How about the view finder from the Ikelite housing? is it easy to see?

    did you use the live view feature underwater?

  5. Great shot, was it shot by 100mm?

    How about the view finder from the Ikelite housing? is it easy to see?

    did you use the live view feature underwater?

     

    That was with the 100mm lens.

    The viewfinder isn't the best but it just takes some getting used to!

    Live View is a waste of time and I never use it!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.