I have seen and photographed this strange critter in Lembeh recently. In 24mt depth, could not find it in my books and the dive guide did not know what this critter is either. Would appreciate an identification or any help that could lead to one.
Cheers.
Worm. It's the last body region of a polychaete worm known as Chaetopterus. They're rather bizarre because the body is so highly modified. http://scienceblogs.com/deepseanews/2007/02/vermes.php They pump water through their tubes to catch food with a net secreted from mucus and they also create a bright blue luminescence. I think this last section breaks off when the worm is disturbed as it moves about rapidly and draws attention away from the main body.
Worm. It's the last body region of a polychaete worm known as Chaetopterus. They're rather bizarre because the body is so highly modified. http://scienceblogs.com/deepseanews/2007/02/vermes.php They pump water through their tubes to catch food with a net secreted from mucus and they also create a bright blue luminescence. I think this last section breaks off when the worm is disturbed as it moves about rapidly and draws attention away from the main body.
Thank you very much. I wasn't expecting such a fast reply.