Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Stick or Twist

Started by Uwater-boy ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Stick or Twist

3 posts
  1. Hi - not really a newbie.....had U/W outfit from film(S&S MMII) and converted digital in 2004 to a C-5050z and still have it.

     

    Have re-joined Wetpixel after a few years off diving with a view to getting back into my hobby....

     

    I have a big question....Is it worth upgrading my kit....????

    I am looking E-PL2 with YS-110alphas and Zen dome, 9-18mm or keep my C-5050z with weikamp adapter to YS-90, 67mm screw on INON dome and macro.....

     

    I have publushed photos with my old kit and apart from shutter lag and pixel count I am struggling to justify a move which could cost me £1000 or more....

    Opinions please....

     

    thxs....

  2. This is a difficult question to answere.

    Basically the 5050 is a excellent camera, but very obsolete and sooner or (hopefully) later you have to replace her.

    The question is where you wanna go and what are you willing to pay for in money and weight/bulk.

    If you wanna go small and light a Canon G12 or even smaller S95 or the new Nikon P7000 are still the unmatched champions on the advanced P&S

    If you wanna go better (shutter lag, optical quality, changing lenses) you have to go the expensive, bulky and heavy way of a D-SLR setup.

    EVIL cameras like the Olympus E-PL2 are a mix between P&S and D-SLR, have bigger sensors than P&S and have excellent changeable lenses but

    are also heavier and bulkier than a P&S and i am not really sure if they produce automatic reasonable better pictures than a P7000/G12/S95 camera.

    The vantage of the EP-L series is that they are very well priced and so being "the best bang for the buck".

     

    Chris

  3. I Love my 5050, I have two bodies, and a really nice set-up but am increasingly frustrated with my Weikamp conversion breaking.

    My main hate is the shutter lag, when my image is ready the camera is 3 seconds behind....

     

    I was toying with XZ-1 or E-PL2 (sorry but if you cut me in half it will say Olympus in a ring.......)with Zen adapted housing & twin 110 alphas....

     

    Maybe I could take my E-500 or E-3 underwater but I would cry if it got wet.....

     

    thxs for your input......anybody else?

    Edited by Uwater-boy

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.