Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Infrared or radio trigger help

Started by gavinparsons ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Infrared or radio trigger help

11 posts
  1. I'm trying to get an easy to use/make infrared or radio trigger to fire my Nikon D2x. I want to photograph trout in a shallow stream and being in the water isn't an option as they shoot off. So I want to place the camera in the water and wait for the fish to come back and fire the camera remotely. I've tried one of those radio triggers you can get off ebay and it didn't work over a great distance I think the metal housing blocks the signal too much.

     

    Has anyone tried this sort of photography before and have any ideas?

     

    Thanks

     

    Gavin

  2. Getting IR or RF through water or the housing is going to be a problem.

     

    Suggest you re wire a sync port socket and use an external switch to trigger the shutter.

     

    Paul C

  3. I want to build a motion sensor that triggers the camera underwater. ;)

    Just received the PIR sensors and will try them soon underwater.

    Will post the results.

    Edited by owfotograaf
  4. I'm trying to get an easy to use/make infrared or radio trigger to fire my Nikon D2x. I want to photograph trout in a shallow stream and being in the water isn't an option as they shoot off. So I want to place the camera in the water and wait for the fish to come back and fire the camera remotely. I've tried one of those radio triggers you can get off ebay and it didn't work over a great distance I think the metal housing blocks the signal too much.

     

    Has anyone tried this sort of photography before and have any ideas?

     

    Thanks

     

    Gavin

     

    I use a Pocket Wizard wired to the 10 pin remote socket or the pc socket of the camera (dending is I want to trigger the camera from a distance or studio strobes from the side of a pool from the camera, it's housed in a palstic Fantasea SB800 flash housing and I get a decent working distance out of them.

     

    I use an extra Nikonos Bulkhead as the entry point and inside I can either plug the 10 pins remote cord or a pc cord on it, externally I either plug the Pocket Wizard or our remote trigger You can use the Ikelite 15" extension along with a regular Ike to Nikonos cord to get about 20ft worth of waterproofed working distance.

     

    Passing through metal or water as Paul said is a tough one for those small radio slave, they are not really powerful to begin with, that's why I got the pocket wizard, they are reliably able to carry a signal for long way, all the time.

  5. I want to build a motion sensor that triggers the camera underwater. :huh:

    Just received the PIR sensors and will try them soon underwater.

    Will post the results.

    As expect they don't work underwater :D

     

    post-11074-1310807151.jpg post-11074-1310807144.jpg

  6. Try looking into this site http://www.cognisys-inc.com/catalog/index....7d1f06c384fb779 I have been using this (top side) for a while now and have experimented with replacing the light emmiter with laser pointer and even with standard LED flashlight (like the real El Cheapo kind) and the light trap works, I figure with a laser pointer you might be able to get it to work underwater.

     

    You can use an Aquarium to test without having to submerge anything, based on the principle that both the laser pointer and the IR receiver would need to be housed anyway, just place each one at opposite end of the Aquarium and you will have the same results. If it works, you could actually push it to the X cross type light trap like we use for birds and insects

     

    http://www.cognisys-inc.com/catalog/produc...7d1f06c384fb779

     

    and I have a couple of those really inexpensive kits yet to be assembled from them as well http://www.hiviz.com/kits/lat.htm

     

    http://www.hiviz.com/kits/cbp.htm

     

    post-1676-1310989797.jpg

     

    post-1676-1310989823.jpg

     

    post-1676-1310989852.jpg

  7. I've lusted after this guy's device for awhile. Since he's incorporated a laser receiver into the main device, I'd imagine if you could get a blue-green laser 'housed' to be waterproof, you'd have your trigger. (Red HeNe lasers of course would absorb over way too short a distance.)

     

    http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/smatrig21/

  8. Thanks for the info guys.

    grtz, H

  9. Hey, this isn't really related, but I just signed up and I'm not allowed to start a new topic yet. I'm buying a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX1 Digital Camera and I want to buy a remote system for them. I have been looking at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Control-Shutter-Release-Panasonic/dp/B004FGWGE8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355505933&sr=1-1, which the net has suggested to go with that camera, but I'm concerned it won't be compatible. PLEASE can someone help me? Thank you, say I hopefully. :D

  10. I don't think this remote will work with this camera

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.