Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

nikon 70-200 and vr

Started by sharky1961 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

nikon 70-200 and vr

4 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    would you sett VR on or off on the nikon 70-200 mm while shooting whales from a zodiac boat??

     

     

    Rob

  2. Hi,

     

    would you sett VR on or off on the nikon 70-200 mm while shooting whales from a zodiac boat??

     

     

    Rob

    I bounded around on boats with an 80-400 and used VR on mostly. I general, VR is NOT going to improve the image with shutter speeds faster than 1/500. See Thom Hogan's essay.

    Bob

    To VR or not to VR, that is ...

  3. Hi,

     

    would you sett VR on or off on the nikon 70-200 mm while shooting whales from a zodiac boat??

     

     

    Rob

     

    I would leave the VR on and set it to active. "Normal" is meant for panning from a steady base and "active" for motion that is unpredictable (riding in a car or in a boat). As mentioned in the prior post, above a certain shutter speed it doesn't matter.

     

    SD

  4. I would leave the VR on and set it to active. "Normal" is meant for panning from a steady base and "active" for motion that is unpredictable (riding in a car or in a boat). As mentioned in the prior post, above a certain shutter speed it doesn't matter.

     

    SD

    I should have added increase the ISO to get "sharper" shots. You can reduce the noise with editing, but not improve a blurry image.

    Bob

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.