Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

What lense for Minidome

Started by buddy ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

What lense for Minidome

11 posts
  1. I am looking for a Minidome (100mm / 4") from Zen or Subal and need some advise concerning full frame like Nikon D3s. By using the Nikon 10.5mm I guess I am loosing resolution in DX mode. Obviously the Nikon 16mm does not work since its closest focus distance is not as small as the 10.5mm or the Sigma 15mm (which is for full frame). Can I mount the Sigma 15mm into such a Minidome?

     

    Juerg

  2. The shade of the Sigma 15mm is sticking out too much and rakes the inside of those small 4" domes (not good), I know some individual will cut, machine or file it into submission, but that would be something of a personnal initiative, the Sigma does have appealing qualities that could be put to good uses behind a 4" dome.

     

    Might be a good thing if any forum member happen to have a reliable quality shop for trimming down the shade, to post it up for all to share. ;)

  3. Juerg, this tutorial is for using the 10.5 on a full frame camera and is a lot more radical (I would say desesperate) an aproach than what need to be done on the 15mm Sigma, the Sigma upper and lower shade petals are the one raking the inside of these small dome, so they need to be trimmed down and not removed as the tutorial shows. the methods shown is well done, you would need to water it down a notch and concentrate on the offending shade petal only.

     

    I know of some users of our dome that have done it and use the lens sucessfully, understand that any manufacturers of small dome (including us) will not endorse this move, as I said it can be done, but its an unofficial solution ;)

  4. I am looking for a Minidome (100mm / 4") from Zen or Subal and need some advise concerning full frame like Nikon D3s. By using the Nikon 10.5mm I guess I am loosing resolution in DX mode. Obviously the Nikon 16mm does not work since its closest focus distance is not as small as the 10.5mm or the Sigma 15mm (which is for full frame). Can I mount the Sigma 15mm into such a Minidome?

     

    Juerg

    Hi Juerg, How did you get on with this..im looking at doing exactly the same with the D3s - 15mm Sigma in a Zen 4" Mini Dome. Problem is, is that I've had some feedback not to bother with the 100mm and instead look at either the 6" or 8". Did you manage to adjust your sigma and try it out in the mini dome. If yes...would be really interested to find out if you had any issues with soft corners etc. All the best - Warren

  5. Hi Juerg, How did you get on with this..im looking at doing exactly the same with the D3s - 15mm Sigma in a Zen 4" Mini Dome. Problem is, is that I've had some feedback not to bother with the 100mm and instead look at either the 6" or 8". Did you manage to adjust your sigma and try it out in the mini dome. If yes...would be really interested to find out if you had any issues with soft corners etc. All the best - Warren

    I was told from Subal that the Sigma 15mm lens works well with the 4" minidome + 20mm extension ring. this obviously because of the sun shade of the lens. Since I want to closer focusing right on the dome (closest focus is about 14 cm) I am going to shave ore remove the sun shade of the lens and use it without the extension ring. but I have not done this yet, but soon I will. stay tuned, I will report if done and tested...

  6. I was told from Subal that the Sigma 15mm lens works well with the 4" minidome + 20mm extension ring. this obviously because of the sun shade of the lens. Since I want to closer focusing right on the dome (closest focus is about 14 cm) I am going to shave ore remove the sun shade of the lens and use it without the extension ring. but I have not done this yet, but soon I will. stay tuned, I will report if done and tested...

    Ok - that would be great. Thanks

  7. I am looking for a Minidome (100mm / 4") from Zen or Subal and need some advise concerning full frame like Nikon D3s. By using the Nikon 10.5mm I guess I am loosing resolution in DX mode. Obviously the Nikon 16mm does not work since its closest focus distance is not as small as the 10.5mm or the Sigma 15mm (which is for full frame). Can I mount the Sigma 15mm into such a Minidome?

     

    Juerg

     

    Hi Juerg,

     

    How did you get on with this? I have just got the Zen and shaved the Sigma 15mm fisheye shade down last night. I used a Dremel with a steel cutter using a jubilee clip as a guide and it worked a dream - the finish was super. The only problem I am seeing now is that when the lens focuses at its widest, behind the Zen, the corners of the shade of the Zen are in the frame (only slightly - but they are there). What were your findings? I am thinking that the kenko 1.4 extension ring might work but this will mean further shaving of the shade and the lens may not even fit behind the port. Worst case scenario, I will use the Zen with the Tokina on my D2Xs but I really wanted this to work with the D3s. Your feedback and experiences would be appreciated.

    Edited by verstodigital
  8. How about shaving the corners of the zen dome? I use a not-zen minidome without any shade at all and a shaved tokina. Trimming down the Zen shade should not be much of a problem...

  9. How about shaving the corners of the zen dome? I use a not-zen minidome without any shade at all and a shaved tokina. Trimming down the Zen shade should not be much of a problem...

    Hi there...actually its all ok - in the water, focused to infinity the shade is barely visible. Basically nothing to worry about. First test results look promising...have posted some of these test results on my blog.

  10. Finally, I got the Subal Minidome (4 " I think it is the same as the ZEN) and the Sigma 15mm f/2.8 for FX (D3s) and I have shaved part of the sun shades of the lense. Now it fits perfectly into the minidome w/o any adapter ring.....

     

    Next, to test it in Soccoro in January.....

    Edited by buddy
Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.