Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Mystery Fish in Cozumel

Started by sharronsuss ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Mystery Fish in Cozumel

8 posts
  1. Saw a completely unfamiliar fish, about 18-20" long, at ~ 60 feet, under a ledge in Cozumel last week. Doesn't really match anything in Humann & DeLoach - possibly some form of an Atlantic Tripletail??? Any experts out there?

     

     

    Here's a link to the video:

     

  2. Hi Sharon,

    I'm thinking Hogfish (Lachnolaimus maximus) It's in the wrasse family.

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

  3. Hogfish, page 213 of Humann and DeLoach.

     

    Alas, scooped by Steve!

    Edited by segal3
  4. This video just perfectly shows you why those guys are in such trouble in the Caribbean due to overfishing. Notice how the snapper just takes off but the hogfish isn't bothered by human presence one bit. If you had a spear (and bad intentions) the hogfish would be gone...

  5. Hi Sharon,

    I'm thinking Hogfish (Lachnolaimus maximus) It's in the wrasse family.

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

     

    Ditto

  6. Thank you all! It was indeed in Humann & Deloach. Just didn't strike me as a "Swim with Pectoral Fins/Obvious Scales" type and I zoomed in on all the wrong ID details - duh!

     

    Now I just need to figure out how to de-activate this post...

     

    Sharron S.

  7. Now I just need to figure out how to de-activate this post...

     

    Hi Sharon,

    No need to deactivate the post, besides I need the proof posted that I finally got one right. ;)

     

    Have fun,

    Steve

  8. definitely don't deactivate the post. This is how we all learn.

    Edited by andy_deitsch
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.