Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Please help choose 1 or 2 strobes

Started by shallop ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Please help choose 1 or 2 strobes

7 posts
  1. I talked to Larry from B&H about choosing a DSLR housing and strobes for my outdated Nikon D200. Well, D200 still work great so I will keep using it for several more years. When D800 is out, D200 will be my designated underwater camera.

     

    After talking to Larry, I think I will forget about my Nikkor 17-35mm because it is not wide enough for underwater pictures. Now I think I will just go with Macro 60mm. Larry suggested buy one Ikelite Substrobe DS-51 Kit for now. He thinks one strobe is good enough for macro. I can always add another strobe later when I have a wider lens.

     

    Right now I have Ikelite DS-51 Kit, Ikelite Flat Port for SLR Housing for 60mm, and Ikelite 6812 iTTL Underwater Housing for Nikon D-200 in my cart. It's just a little over USD 2000 and I am pretty happy about the price but I am not sure if this will be sufficient for my upcoming trip. I will dive in Cairns and Fiji in November.

     

    Should I consider DS-161 since it has a focusing light? It is much bigger and heavier than DS-51.

     

    What would you suggest?

     

     

    Thank you very much.

     

  2. Having a strobe will definitely increase your picture quality, two just gives you a few more lighting options but are often over used for macro.

     

    Yes, the DS160/161 is considerably heavier and bulkier than the DS51. If you do get the larger strobe, the 161 is probably worth the extra, particularly for night dives. If you have plans for wide angle in the future, the DS51 is possibly a bit low on light although it might pair with a more powerful unit as fill in.

     

    You might want to look at other manufacturer's strobes which are lighter but just as powerful as the DS160 but Ike housing and strobe is a sweet combination for TTL.

  3. I found the ds-51 very weak. However with a 60MM you need to get very close to get a true macro shot so it may be OK. The problem is that it is difficult to move a single strobe side to side and sometimes the strobe will be on the wrong side. Since you have an Ike housing you should stick with Ike strobes TTL is fine for macro.

     

    The D-200 is still fine for underwater use.

  4. I found the ds-51 very weak. However with a 60MM you need to get very close to get a true macro shot so it may be OK. The problem is that it is difficult to move a single strobe side to side and sometimes the strobe will be on the wrong side. Since you have an Ike housing you should stick with Ike strobes TTL is fine for macro.

     

    The D-200 is still fine for underwater use.

    With a GN of 28/ ft, that's GN of 56/ft @ ISO 200, the DS51 has plenty of power for macro. You could shoot f/16 at 3 feet!

  5. I have not found the built in 'modeling' light in strobes to be any use as a focusing light.

     

    You never want to point the strobe straight at the subject anyway, since it would light up all the crude between it and the lens, and give more backscatter.

     

    Better to get a cheap focusing light, like the nano light, which works great down deep, or when it is not sunny or noon on the surface.

     

    http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=1470

  6. I have not found the built in 'modeling' light in strobes to be any use as a focusing light.

     

    You never want to point the strobe straight at the subject anyway, since it would light up all the crude between it and the lens, and give more backscatter.

     

    Better to get a cheap focusing light, like the nano light, which works great down deep, or when it is not sunny or noon on the surface.

     

    http://reefphoto.com/index.php?main_page=p...roducts_id=1470

     

    Spot on! The strobe's light shows where it's pointing: it's a modelling light. Trying to use it as a focussing light is both restrictive and a pain in the ****. Luckily most 60mm macro lenses only need a little extra light for accurate AF, so a small camera-mounted focus light like the Fantasea Nano is often enough.

     

    It's unfortunate, but all too common, that after a few hundred macro images with one strobe you just ache for a little light in the shadows, for a little more modelling and texture... and a second strobe!

     

    Tim

     

    :huh:

  7. Well i think this is perfect timing that I saw this thread. I just finished my first dive with a newly purchased second strobe. I'll be honest, i was on the side of thinking that i didn't need two. However, after shooting with two DS-51s i couldn't be happier.

     

    I noticed that some said the DS-51 doesn't give enough light. However, shooting with a 55mm and a 100mm i haven't had any problems at all, and had to switch to manual settings because TTL seemed to white out the image now and then. I guess it depends on what you want to be shooting. Best of luck!

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.