Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Canon 5D MkII - Base setup

Started by nitrosoxide ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5D MkII - Base setup

8 posts
  1. Hey there everyone,

     

    I just upgraded from a Canon G10 to 5DMkII and am super eager to get in the water and try this beast out. But before doing so i've been reading endlessly on best setup practices etc

     

    If some of you guys wouldn't mind giving some recommendations it would be much appreciated. Below is what i've learnt so far:

     

    Wide Angle - Saved in Customer Settings C1

    Shutter 1/125

    Aperature f2.8

    ISO 200

    Auto White Balance

    Picture Style Neutral

    Picture RAW

    Colour Space Adobe RGB (I've read that Adobe RGB uses a much larger colour space than sRGB)

    AI-Mode AF-Servo

    Metering: Evaluative metering

    Auto Power Off: Off

    Auto Lighting Optimizer: Is currently on Standard but I have a feeling this should be on Disable, if anyone can verify ?

    AF-assist beam firing: Disable (Since it's in the casing and if after a few dives I have troubles focusing i'd look at a focus light)

    High ISO speed noise reduction: Disable

     

    Macro - Save in Custom Settings C2

    Shutter 1/100

    Aperature f10

    Metering: Center-weighted average

    AI-Mode: One Shot

    All other settings same as above

     

    For wide angle i'm using Canon's 15mm Fish Eye and for Macro I'm using Canon 100mm 2.8 USM (non-is)

     

    One last thing, to start with i'll just be using one Inon z240 strobe, casing is ikelite

     

    Thanks everyone

  2. I'm certainly no expert here, but I think you'd want a larger aperture for wide angle (f6.3 or so) to maximize depth of field, and lower aperture (f2.8 or so) to minize DOF to isolate your subject.

  3. Thanks for the reply, yeah you're right. Both my modes are on manual, the custom setting with aperature and shutter is just a starting point, I can change them during the dive depending on the situation ;)

  4. Depending on what dome size you're using with the 15mm lens, you may find you need a much higher aperture for your wide angle shots to avoid soft edges. I very rarely shoot below f8 with my 14mm lens on the 5DII, and compensate with ISO up to 800 if necessary. But I do also have two strobes. Spend as much time in the water as possible, and enjoy!

  5. Hi

     

    Not sure why you are using the C1, C2 etc user settings unless they are as a reminder....? I only have mine set up for action grab shots when there is no time to make any adjustments before whatever it is has gone. For normal use, I find that while you can make exposure adjustments in this mode to suit ambient etc, once the camera powers down, the camera reverts to your original C1 settings. Thats what happens with mine anyway and if anybody knows how to stop this happening, I would be grateful to hear. Using C1 etc is not therefore suitable for normal use. I just use manual all the time.

     

    Switch off Auto Lighting Opt., in camera noise reduction, peripheral illumination correction - all are better done later on your computer in my view. As folivier1 said, you need a tighter aperture for wide angle. I don't go below f8 to help with corner sharpness, preferring to up my ISO if ambient requires it. This camera is superb at high ISO and I start out at 400 which I regularly increase to 800 and even beyond. Do some tests on land to satisfy yourself on this point. Not keen either on Ai Servo for wide angle except for moving subjects.

  6. Hi

     

    Not sure why you are using the C1, C2 etc user settings unless they are as a reminder....? I only have mine set up for action grab shots when there is no time to make any adjustments before whatever it is has gone. For normal use, I find that while you can make exposure adjustments in this mode to suit ambient etc, once the camera powers down, the camera reverts to your original C1 settings. Thats what happens with mine anyway and if anybody knows how to stop this happening, I would be grateful to hear.

     

     

    You can set the auto power off to "Off" Jim. It's an option in the menu. This will avoid the issue you describe. Very useful when shooting video. The problem of course is you have to remember to turn the camera off manually or there won't be anything left for the second dive.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  7. I am using the same model as yours but most of the time I use manual setting with manual strobe adjustment. For wide angel, I normally use F4 - F8 and F8 - F22 for macro.

     

    Enjoy!!

  8. I would set my ISO at 160. Keep it clean. The adjust as necessary. Remember canon's ISO multiples of 160. 160,320,640. Those are the least noisy.

     

    Dustin

     

    Also for wide angle and the 15mm. F8-f11

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.