Hi,
I am afraid that sooner or later my trusty old RS will be my "late RS"... So I start looking for a replacement, but are more than confused.
First, absolutely no more SLR - I am just too tired of schlepping around HEAVY equipment any more. No way. Seems a good compact camera is the way to go. Plenty of choice, as I can see.
What puzzles me: Most camera/housing combinations seem to trigger the external strobe(s) via a fiber-optic cable by the internal camera strobe. And the internal strobe drives me crazy with my small "backup" Olympus SP350 digital camera - when I use it, it takes 6 to 8 seconds until the internal strobe has recharged, way too long when you urgently want to take the next shot. (For U/W I have an Olympus housing with the Heinrichs Weikamp adapter, so I can use an external strobe only, but the camera itself has too many limitations - autofocus is toooo slow and unreliable under water, raw mode too slow, etc.pp. - so not a real replacement for my RS.)
What I am looking for is an upper level compact camera with a hot-shoe device and a housing with one (or maybe two) traditional Nikonos strobe connector(s). I would like to use fisheye to supermacro, either with external adapters or with lenses and the according ports for the housing.
I was about to buy the Canon G12; Patima, for example, has a housing with Nikonos connector. But then I found that in movie mode the AF does not work on the G12. Why - because they need to have something for the G13 ??? Even my old SP350 has a working AF in movie mode! Okay, movie is not my primary goal, but is is a "nice to have" feature - here is a link to a manatee video I shot with the SP350 with an external W/A converter:
There is such a lot of information here on wetpixel, any hint where I can get an overview with the features I have mentioned above? The search function did not help me too much - or I am just to stupid to use it properly... Or do the latest compact cameras have a strobe recycle time comparable to, say Ikelite or Sea&Sea strobes?
Regards,
Jock