Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Aquatica AD7000 focus mode selector problems

Started by sea_ledford ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Aquatica AD7000 focus mode selector problems

9 posts
  1. So I seem to be having some issues with my new AD7000 housing. I just got it back from Backscatter to adjust the mode selector dial (it wasn't engaging the camera's dial very well). That seems to be fixed, but now the focus mode selector doesn't work. It will switch it most of the way from M to AF, but the housing arm blocks it from getting all the way to AF. I can just put it in the housing on AF and use it that way but I was planning on switching it to M for video, so it's kind of important.

     

    I also can't open the on camera flash via the button on the housing when it is in the housing... there just seems to be too much stuff up top to let it open. I can open the flash before sliding the camera in, and weasel it in there and it works fine, so that is a minor annoyance at worst. I do have the hybrid housing, so all the flash electronics are up there.

     

    The M/AF selector was working before I shipped it to Backscatter, so I'm wondering if I'm putting the camera in incorrectly so things aren't lining up properly. It almost seems like the camera is a 1/4 mm too far back or something.

     

    Is there a fix for this that won't involve another month long trip to Monterey? I have a trip next week, and I would like to use the thing at some point...

     

    Thanks!

     

    Chris

  2. I did figure out that I can pull the lever out, rotate it all the way forward and then push it back in and it will nudge the selector all the way to AF. I can do it pretty easily with no lens on the camera and I can see what I am doing, but once the lens is on, it's a bit more difficult. I also removed the left handle and I can get it to AF, so maybe dremiling out a little piece of the arm would work. It seems I shouldn't have to do that though, it's not like I'm trying to make a housing fit an incorrect camera.

  3. Sounds like the camera might be mis-aligned on the mounting tray. Try taking it off and putting it back on again - and this might sort the problem.

     

    Alex

  4. So I seem to be having some issues with my new AD7000 housing. I just got it back from Backscatter to adjust the mode selector dial (it wasn't engaging the camera's dial very well). That seems to be fixed, but now the focus mode selector doesn't work. It will switch it most of the way from M to AF, but the housing arm blocks it from getting all the way to AF. I can just put it in the housing on AF and use it that way but I was planning on switching it to M for video, so it's kind of important.

     

    I also can't open the on camera flash via the button on the housing when it is in the housing... there just seems to be too much stuff up top to let it open. I can open the flash before sliding the camera in, and weasel it in there and it works fine, so that is a minor annoyance at worst. I do have the hybrid housing, so all the flash electronics are up there.

     

    The M/AF selector was working before I shipped it to Backscatter, so I'm wondering if I'm putting the camera in incorrectly so things aren't lining up properly. It almost seems like the camera is a 1/4 mm too far back or something.

     

    Is there a fix for this that won't involve another month long trip to Monterey? I have a trip next week, and I would like to use the thing at some point...

     

    Thanks!

     

    Chris

     

    PM sent.

  5. Hi Jean,

     

    I am also having problems with the d7000 housing on the lever for flash popup. I lower the flash to take some silhouette shots and when I tried to pop it up again, I cldnt. Can you advise what is the problem and the fix ??

  6. Hi Jean,

     

    I am also having problems with the d7000 housing on the lever for flash popup. I lower the flash to take some silhouette shots and when I tried to pop it up again, I cldnt. Can you advise what is the problem and the fix ??

     

    PM sent

  7. I did figure out that I can pull the lever out, rotate it all the way forward and then push it back in and it will nudge the selector all the way to AF. I can do it pretty easily with no lens on the camera and I can see what I am doing, but once the lens is on, it's a bit more difficult. I also removed the left handle and I can get it to AF, so maybe dremiling out a little piece of the arm would work. It seems I shouldn't have to do that though, it's not like I'm trying to make a housing fit an incorrect camera.

     

    Mine does the exact same thing. Same symptoms too - it worked when I first got the housing and now it seems to stick a bit on the handle. Maybe it was just tight enough brand new but as things loosen up slightly the tolerance adjusted. I got pretty consistent at pulling it out just a tad to get AF to engage but if it starts to bother me I'll probably just do as you mentioned dremil out a bit, will only need at most a millimeter shaved off the corner.

  8. I spent some time last night and tonight doing some adjustments on my AD7000 and got the AF lever working better. Thought I'd share. This pictures shows the two places where I made adjustments on the AF lever:

     

    gallery_218_644_75970.jpg

     

    The one on the right (inside the housing) tightens the "fork" against a flat surface on the inside rod so it can't change much there. But if you losen the outside one, you can turn the inside piece a little bit. The problem is that when you move from manual to auto, the camera switch doesn't move enough. By adjusting the lever, you can change the position of where it makes contact with the camera switch. This made things much better for me, but not perfect.

     

    The other thing I did was I had to replace the shooting mode gear because the release mode (ie, single shot, continuous shot) dial wasn't working. The replacement gear was slightly shorter and from what Jean explain caused extra pressure on the dial. When I replace that, it fixed my release mode selector, but it also corrected the AF lever. I can now switch to auto focus without having to pull it out to get over the handle.

     

    Thought this might help anyone else who had a similar issue.

  9. Thanks for sharing, Matt.

     

    While I greatly applaud Jean - for his speed in helping people with issues (which seems to me, far more efficient than any other manufacturer), it is a pity that his fixes have all been shared by PM - as it means that other users can't see the info.

     

    Alex

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.