Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Micro adjustment for AF

Started by Will_Clark ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Micro adjustment for AF

5 posts
  1. I have never been that happy with my Canon 60mm macro lens... until now.

     

    It always seems a 'bit soft' on my Canon EOS 40d. Now I am the proud owner of a 7d, I just spent a few hours playing with the micro adjustment facility.

     

    I followed this advice: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/sh...justment-tricks

    but I performed the procedure at many different distances from the lens to the target. 25-50x the focal length distance is recommended by some sources, but I found it more useful to do it at more 'real world' distances for my macro lenses.

     

    Both that 60mm and my Canon Macro 100mm IS L lens benefited from tweaks, and I recommend giving it a go.

     

    **edit

    I didn't use his mirror method, I used a hot-shoe spirit level and moved the target into place on a well-lit wall instead.

    Edited by Will_Clark
  2. Any one know if a similar procedure is available or Nikon?

  3. Any one know if a similar procedure is available or Nikon?

     

    Some info on that a bit lower in the thread.

     

    Otara

  4. In the same thread (a long way down!) the author answers this question (Feb 2010)

     

    Q. Is this method applicable to Nikon cameras, what Nikon bodies and lenses are compatible?

     

    A. Absolutely, this method can also be used with Nikon cameras but you will need the Nikon Camera Control Pro 2 software (sold separately) to invoke the remote AF function. Currently Nikon D300, D300s, D700, D3, D3S and D3X with AF-S lenses support remote AF function.

    http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/sh...ll=1#post547479

  5. Good news Will!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.