Then i came across this article on the web while searching for any evidence of a fake Canon 7D.YIKES
Re: Cameras in HK or Shanghai??
Well I have just returned from my trip and here are my comments on the questions I asked the forum before I left.
I looked at a couple of shops in Shanghai and if looking at the reputable stores the prices are not that much cheaper than here all things considered. For a saving of couple of grand it's not worth it.
Honk Kong on the other hand is an altogether different story, you can pick a camera for just about any price you imagine....but!!! I was warned (thankfully) of the scams they pull and was nearly sucked into one. I "negotiated" a good price and was promptly asked for a credit card I insisted that I see the "goods" first, camera was not in the shop had to go to agent........and the story goes on. My experience was not good even though it cost me no money. I'm sure there are many honest upstanding vendors in Nathan street but my advice is steer clear!
A thought occured to me before the trip - can one get ripped off with a "fake" camera (you can get fake anything in China) my thought was no, it's just too difficult to copy a camera. A brief internet search showed that the discussion had taken place but no conclusive evidence of fake cameras. Well the camera I looked at in a shop was either a fake or it was faulty. it had only one focus point in the viefinder and it didn't work, the viewfinder was dark and murky, the shots I did in the shop looking at the screen were of a shocking quality etc etc. After that experience I'm more inclined to agree with some that there are "fake Canon's" out there.
So the moral of the story not different from the advice I was given BEWARE and keep your eyes WIDE OPEN! Even better don't bother, buy from a reputable local guy pay the premium for peace of mind.
Michael
**************
FarsideMichael